CJ7 buildup help?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2001, 08:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

CJ7 buildup help??

First of all I want to say thanx to all. I am new to the BBS here but I have been reading your pages for the last 2 weeks since I received approval from the "finance minister" to complete my rebuild. I am planning on a lift, lockers, engine swap(V8)/4.0 head treatment. Just like most, $$$ count. This is the first of many question most likely. I have a question about a V8 swap. I was on ebay earlier and found a 304 from an IH Scout II, actually a pair of them. Is this the same as the AMC 304? I also found an LT1 crate motor for $950. What are your recommendations? If I do the 4.0 head swap I won't be able to do the MPI, cash flow yaknow. I would like the V8 power and it seems that it can be had for less $ than an injected 4.0.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2001, 08:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: CJ7 buildup help??

no the IH 304 isn't the same as a amc 304. there were some amc 258 I6's used in scouts but the 304's are different. you want input, well find a good deal on a fuel injected motor. do it right the first time and don't look back. if you plan on off-roading much then you'll thank yourself over and over. good deals on injected v8's are out there if you look. the best route is to find a whole vehicle that maybe wrecked but the motor is still good so you can get motor, wiring harness, computer, sensors, and all. H8monday just got a ford car (thunderbird, couger, or something) with a ho 302 in it for i believe $500. that would be a good deal if you could find something similar. you get an injected motor for less than a standard rebuild. keep your eyes and ears out and you'll find something.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
efi351w/np435/d300/d60fr/14br/detroits/4.56/38's
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2001, 09:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: CJ7 buildup help??

Thanx High5, I'm on the hunt for a V8 then. I'll let you know what I find and always appreciate the input.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode