Going SOA in June or July, have a couple of Q's - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2001, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Going SOA in June or July, have a couple of Q\'s

I've decided that the SOA would be my best bet. I was wondering if I should use my stock springs? What do I need to do to mount them to the top of the axle(where do i get sring perches)? Will i need a SYE and a longer driveshaft? What parts will i need to buy besides shocks and a dropped pitman arm?
Any help is appreciated.

Bryan[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2001, 08:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Going SOA in June or July, have a couple of Q\'s

I got my perches from Rustys off road but i saw M.O.R.E. had similar ones.(get the longest ones you can find it will help with axle wrap).If you get new springs i got BDS they were cheap and had a great warranty .Also Greg at Jims off road paid the shipping! You will need longer brake lines. Mabey (probley) some driveshaft work.One pair of weld on shock mounts.Drop pitman arm.longer shocks. U-bolts, if your old ones dont come off or are in bad shape. Best thing to do is to get a notebook and start calling around write down prices. If you shop around you can save a little money i did.

84CJ7/304/AUTO.904/DANA300/35'S ALLWAYS TIME TO PLAY!!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2001, 08:53 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

You'll need longer brake lines, longer shocks, a SYE and CV driveshaft in the rear. And probably a longer driveshaft up front. Definetly get new U-bolts. I've heard and been told to NEVER reuse them. Rusty's and MORE have perches, and RE has a kit for SOA's. You also should take into account what you're going to do for spring wrap and possibly think about doing a high knuckle steering conversion. Also, if you keep your stock springs, look into getting another set of YJ springs and remove the main leaf and cut the eyes off each end, then put that under your main leaf in the packs you'll be using. Helps prevent sagging and spring wrap.

"James and the Giant Jeep"
1993 Wrangler 4.0/5spd, Herculined Interior, D44s Soon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2001, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

I checked out the RE SOA kit, but it costs 300 and some odd dollars. I couldn't seem to find out what it came with. I was thinking that I could possibly go to the truck junk yard about an hour away to get the extra springs to put underneath. Could I end up using the spring off of a Blazer or something to put under my stock springs(after removing the main leaf on the other set of springs)?
Thanks for the info though.
Bryan

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2001, 12:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you think you're going to do SOA for under $300, you better share some of what you're smoking. The only thing cheap about SOA done properly is using your stock springs. Price out all of the items that jamgood96 mentioned to get a good grip on what's involved. Some magazine recently had an article that SOA can be done for under $200 and it's just not true if you don't already have all of the odds and ends together.

'75 CJ5,258 w/Howell EFI,T18a,4.27's,33's,On-board air,Warn 8274
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2001, 12:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I realize that there are different ways to do the SOA with different perches, springs, etc.

I did do my SOA for under $100.

84CJ7 SOA,35's,OnboardAir,Dual winches,Full Cage,Snorkels, and more
OverMost 4WD Club
JerseyWheelers Club
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2001, 12:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Really?! So did you already have longer brake lines, shocks, and driveshafts? How is your steering setup? If you already had these things I can see $100, but not if you didn't have them.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 07:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes, I did start with a 4" superlift and then went SOA 2 years later.

84CJ7 SOA,35's,OnboardAir,Dual winches,Full Cage,Snorkels, and more
OverMost 4WD Club
JerseyWheelers Club
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 08:44 AM
Can't Get Enough

If you want some good info on SOA and many other issues pertaining to Jeeps try this web page. Jefe has alot of great information that is very helpful on upgrades, etc. I recommend it highly http://homepage.mac.com/jefe/.
Just go to the 4x4 section and check out his tech articles.

82 Scrambler, 360, T5, D300, 4" lift, AMC20 (rear disc brakes) and Dana30 with 3:73's and lockers.
Smithville, Texas
Member TX4X4 Cyber Club
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 12:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ok, so you were able to do it for $100, but somebody starting from stock will not be able to do that. I have $400 in driveshafts alone. You can't go comparing apples to oranges and give good information.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode