Stalling...? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2001, 06:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Stalling...?

I replaced the fuel pump since it was free, new fuel (three-port) filter, new fuel line to the pump... Cleaned the carb, ran some fuel system cleaner through , Pulled plugs and cleaned them. Now I have been driving around... whenever i get to about 2,000 + rpm in third gear the jeep starts to stall or go up then down and up and down... It stumbles... Only happens when I'm going alittle over 40 I guess? Whats the deal here? Someone please help me

<font color=blue> Muddynut </font color=blue>
<font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] 78 CJ7 "Issues" </font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2001, 12:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Stalling...?

I guesss NO ONE HAS HAD THIS HAPPEN BEFORE... pleasssseee help... ok yes I am begging

<font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] 78 CJ7 "Issues" </font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2001, 12:08 AM

i have had this happen to me and i just got it fixed(unfortanently its in a truck not a jeep still trying to sell my truck for a jeep ).
its probly a leaky seal some where or you may have bumped a hose off and not realized it have you cheacked? sounds stupid but it can happen. it may also just be time for a rebuild (i do rebuilds more often than most people)
hope that i helped a little bit
later mike

'85 GMC 2500 4x4 33s mainly stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2001, 12:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have to ask a couple of questions before I can get an idea for what's happening here.

Does is cough and sputter is 2nd gear if you take it above 2000 r's?

Basically, does it ever happen at lower mph with higher rpm's?

In the higher gears (ie. 4th) you will be maintaining a more constant engine speed at the precise rpm that may trigger a problem in your ignition to manifest. In the other gears, you are crossing the threshold too quickly and don't notice the "miss".

If this was a fuel starvation problem, it should happen in any gear when the rpm is high. Try and make this problem occur in second gear around 2000 rpm. I've had several problems like this and most could be traced back to the ignition.

84 CJ-7/258,Weber 38,Jacob's Omni Mag,flowmaster,3.5" SL,32" BFGMT, Superior 1 piece
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2001, 09:58 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Anyone else.... leve?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode