4.0 refurb swap. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2001, 10:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

4.0 refurb swap.

I'm new to jeeping and already need a new motor. Jeep offers a refurb 4.0 long block for $2000 + $600 core charge, am I crazy for considering this purchase? Would a Haynes manual cover this swap process or would I be better off buying the Jeep shop manual? Aside from the engine hoist what other special tools would be necessary to complete this swap?

I started jeeping on the wrong foot, maybe you guys can help a newbe.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2001, 08:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 4.0 refurb swap.

Yes you are crazy for going to the Jeep dealer for your new engine. What makes you think that you need a new engine anyway? There are many different, better, and cheaper ways to do it than through Jeep. Just post a want ad for a 4.0 engine, specify the year you want and I am sure that someone has one in their garage that they are dying to get rid of. As far as manuals I am not sure. You could probably get away with a Haynes or Chilton manual because all you will need is torque specs. Remeber to buy a roll of masking tape and a marker before you begin and label every wire and hose you unplug, it will make reassembly 10 time easier. Hope this helped, good luck.

Dont sweat the petty stuff and dont pet the sweaty stuff
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2001, 08:54 PM

I think there are better places to buy a rebuilt engine. I picked one up for @ 1000. Is there any reason you can't have the current one rebuilt? It would be cheaper, especially if you can find a good shop to do it. Do you have the time and a place to do the some of the rebuild yourself? I found that I needed both the Haynes and the Chilton's to complete my swap. One would lack information that was found in the other. If you are swapping because of high mileage, consider having the radiator checked by a competent shop. spend a little time learning about engine break in periods and such. Look back in these archives, someone recently posted s good deal of information concerning thier experience with a V-8 swap/rebuild. My swap took me 3 weekends. I am no great mechanic, but had assistance/advice from my brother ( who was a mechanic) and a excellent shop. Plenty of the standard shop tools, No air tools, most of the time my brother was working with using his tools. Since he got paid for his time, I did not want to interupt his paycheck. The best tool available was the electic hoist, on wheels. It made moving the engine around a breeze. I removed the front clip. grill rad and fenders. The front clip is very easy to remove, and with it off, allows great access to the engine bay. I helped a buddy do the same swap many years ago, that time we just pulled the grill and radiator. I marked a lot of hoses and tried to keep assemblies and bolts for them seperated. I also took poloriods at various stages, so I could see the routing of the hoses when it came time to put it back together.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2001, 09:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

4wheeler4life and bfeller, thanks for your replies. The reason for the new motor is that the block is broken where the motor mount plate fastens to the block. Each of the 3 threaded recievers on the block are mostly broken out. Can you picture that, or is more description needed?
I was hoping to have it welded, but I was told that the weld would not hold up to off road punishment. I know you haven't seen it, but do you have an opinion?
I would be over my head on an engine rebuild, but look forward with excitement and hesitation on replacing the motor if the current engine can't be repaired.
Bfeller, I will have the radiator checked and boiled during this process. Thanks for the advice.

Thanks, Steve

93YJ 4.0 5SP 2.5 LIFT 31" General M/Ts

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2001, 10:07 AM

If I had the $2600 and wanted a good new 4.0 and didn't have the know how to rebuild one, have a great local machine shop or did't know a top notch local engine builder with lots of Jeep I-6 know how, I woundn't even hesitate to give Hesco in Georgia or Clifford in California a call and tell them to start putting one together for me. You'll be a lot better off in both the long and short run, belive me... if you will ... been there, done that...

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode