My vibration damper wobbles! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2001, 01:57 PM
brendan

My vibration damper wobbles!

It appears that my vibration damper is wobbling as the engine is running. The engine is vibrating pretty bad, and I wonder if this could be the cause. Can these things go bad? What's inside one, anyway? My trans came partially detached last year, and i unknowingly ran it with the engine and tranny real cockeyed. Could I have wrecked engine bearings, causing the whole crank to wobble, but allow the motor to still run? Your opinions will be appreciated. Brendan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2001, 02:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: My vibration damper wobbles!

This is out of my league but I have had my balancer off a bunch of times...I don't see how the balancer can go bad. Also, there is a key way on the crank which will only allow it to go on one way. I can't see that the balancer is on wrong since you haven't taken it off.... Hopefully someone else will take a stab at this one...

Good Luck.

84CJ7 SOA,35's,OnboardAir,Dual winches,Full Cage,Snorkels, and more
OverMost 4WD Club
JerseyWheelers Club
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2001, 04:11 PM
Way Outta Control

1. I'd be surprised if the harmonic balancer were hurt by the transmission backing off.

2. The balancer is keyed, but it's also made with rubber (or a synthetic rubber like) material. If the bond between the rubber and the steel rings fails you can get quite a wobble before it finally tears itslef apart.

3. Have you checked to make sure the crankshaft bolt is fully torqued down? These bolds have been know to back off and let the balancer back off as well and this will cause what appears to be a wobble.

Safe Jeepin'

LEVE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2001, 04:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Steel inner ring, rubber layer, then iron outer with something in the middle. They can go bad if the iron rots or is pulled apart like when you remove one using a hammer. Is it loose? Is it maybe the pulley?

Nick Hagen
1995 Wrangler
3" suspension lift, 3" body lift
33" Mud Tires
TBI Chevy 350 followed by a Turbo 350 tranny.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2001, 08:42 PM
brendan

I haven't ever taken it off, but I suppose that the bolt could have backed out. I had thought it was just the pulley, but i watched the rear edge of the balancer, and it isn't running true either. All of the 258 balancers aren't the same, right? I have a heavy crank 258 that I could scavenge a balancer off of, but it's probably different. How about the numb bearing question? Could I have bad bearings? I realize that if they were out of true, it would probably be imperceptible to the eye, but it might be enough to make the balancer get wobbly. Thanks guys, Brendan

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2001, 11:52 PM
chasejeep7

Do you think it could be the engine/ transmission mounts? Look for anything loose or off kilter.

What are the vibration symptoms. If you do a search, JEEPN posted a good thread about 3 weeks ago which included vibration diagnostics for Jeeps.

<font color=blue>C</font color=blue><font color=red>hase</font color=red><font color=blue>J</font color=blue><font color=red>eep</font color=red><font color=green>7</font color=green>
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2001, 07:53 AM
brendan

Yeah, I have a bad tranny mount. I guess that the vibration could be working it's way up through to the balancer. Soon as I get paid out here I'm going to get that mount. Brendan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode