ot: Who considers their jeeps reliable?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2001, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

ot: Who considers their jeeps reliable??

Ok just taking a poll here. Obviously for the most part a stock TJ would be the most reliable and a stock YJ next in line with the stock CJ some where on list. I know most of us dont have enough money to aford a trail jeep and a dailly driver so we double time our jeeps. But does anyone think their jeep is reliable. Who thinks their lifted/modified jeeps could go 3 months without breaking anything?? Personally i like fixin jeeps so I go a look for potential problems a fix them. But who thinks their jeeps could go for a while with out a little TLC?

Sold the CJ... Cant wait for the next time around!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2001, 10:34 PM
Old Hand

Re: ot: Who considers their jeeps reliable??

Mine has never left me stranded. Sometimes it might need a little work but it has always pulled through. I wish I could say the same about my "new" cars.

WildCJ5
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...6143&a=2127776
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2001, 10:51 PM

I'm sure that mine could easy. If you're talking about street driving. It's gonna get alittle fuzzy after that. One guy's rippin up the rubicon and the next guy's big off-road adventure is a mud puddle beside the curb.
Any way.......mine pulls double duty and it's pretty reliable. And when it does break at least I can fix it. The only problem with your question is, Who can go that long without doing something to their Jeep even if it needs nothing.(NOBODY[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img])

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
http://home1.gte.net/rythem/davescj7.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2001, 10:56 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Reliable? Yeah, I can always count on my Jeep having problems...very reliable in that way!

Seriously though, I have run my jeep for five years in which it was used every day and it never had touble. Then last year, I swapped the tranny and it sat for a few months and hasn't been the same since. In fact lately, I drive the BMW everyday because the 304 is about dead.

New engine and it'll be the same again.

Fritz

Jeep...need I say more?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2001, 11:21 PM

Mine has always been reliable, and has never left me stranded. If I didnt take it to hammers all the time and beat the crap out of it, it could go long periods without anything but general maintenance. Of course its getting a new engine and drive train now, so it will have to go through a de-bugging period

Jeff
89 YJ
There is no "TRY", Just "DO" or "DONT DO"
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2001, 11:49 PM

I had a GEO that was really reliable till my kid totaled it out.Never had a problem with it in four years and that is with teaching my daughter to drive a stick....BUT...Do ya really want to drive a geo ?
My Jeep has only left me STRANDED once and it was my fault I knocked a coil wire loose when changing the distributer cap If it wasn't dark when I tried to start it I could have fixed it then and there.But it is 20 years old and was illmaintained so I have many potential problems.I also have a back up P.O.S.
just in case.

Ray
Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it
why does everyone ask if I am gonna paint it ?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2001, 12:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've had the same CJ-7 for 16 years, always totally dependable. In the past couple years everything is new or totally rebuilt, so I'm figuring on at least another 16 years of total reliability. I think the key is never letting little problems go for too long, they just seem to snowball. Also, driving in a sane manner helps. One other thing, I periodically scope out the whole vehicle, get underneath on the creeper and just look at stuff for awhile, maybe tug and pull on a few things. Then the engine compartment, same drill. Being VERY familiar with the vehicle is important.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2001, 01:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well, with 4 years, with Scout D44 with me seting up the gears, and 1 year with a built 401. I have yet to have one problem with reliability. My biggest concern is the rear D44, even though I have not broke it yet, I feal it is the weak link in my combo. In 4 years, not one problem with starting and driving, just to the point of too much power.

Ray

post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2001, 03:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

My 1998 Tj has 107,xxx miles on it. This rig runs the Hammers virtually every month as well as road trips to Rubicon, Cortez, Moab, etc... hence all of the miles. Definitely not a trailer queen. It has never left me stranded. Sure I have had to do some welding here or there, but that is to be expected if you use it.

Axlesupagain[http://home1.gte.net/lrgreen2]
98 TJ 6.25" lift, 35" BFG's D44/D30 detroits,
96 XJ 4.5" lift, 31"BFG's 8.25/D30,lockright
http://home1.gte.net/lrgreen2/index.htm
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2001, 08:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

A Jeep will be reliable only if itís well maintained, and if you drive it within itís limits. Iíve had my YJ for almost 4 years now and Iíve logged many miles both on-road and off-road in the hostile Egyptian Sahara and it never failed me. I never even had to fix anything on the trail. But that is only because I maintain it like crazy. I always inspect it before and after each off road trip and I religiously follow the service manual instruction when it comes to changing fluids or parts. Also all my modifications are well researched and properly installed by myself and periodically inspected.
I must sound like a guy with an obsessive compulsion Jeep behavior problem but in the backcountry my life depends on my jeep and it never failed me.

A.B.

If you didn't get stuck, you didn't wheel hard enough...[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode