what to buy 1st..winch or tires - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2001, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

what to buy 1st..winch or tires

heres the deal.. my winch crapped out on me last year, so i need a new one. i also swapped to 1 ton axles, so my 35's were too small now. i sold both the tires and the old winch and i have enough$$ for either the tires (39 boggers)or the winch i want(hs9500i).
i sold my old front axle and bought the axles that luckily had 4.56 gears and a detroit in the back, and i have a buyer for the rear axle so I'll have a detroit for the front.
i usually wheel with a friend that uses a multi-mount winch.. as do i.. i could maybe share his winch for a couple trips(we dont seem to need it real often anyway)

~~Elusive~~
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]tj-7..tellico tested, uwharrie [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]safaried..1 ton drivetrain[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
oh yeah, and a 2000 tj,lift..etc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2001, 09:30 PM
FlMudCJ

Re: what to buy 1st..winch or tires

For the general public use of the board, I'm a firm believer that 4X4, lockers, tires, lift and liquid courage will only get you further and deeper into a worse stuck. The winch doesn't get you further, but it does get you out.

That said, I'd say get the tires... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Your friend has a multi-mount and it is sharable between veichles. This will suffice for now, until you can sell your friend, siginifant other and even a few organs to get the winch.

'77 CJ-5: 304/T-150/D-20 F-D44 R-9" Power 4 wheel disk, 36X12.5 swampers
bigmudtire
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2001, 09:44 PM

Get the tires, your experience will tell you, what you can and cant do. You arent gonna stuck to much with that set up anyway, and you can just be a little more cautiouse if your out by yourself.
If I didnt already know that you were an experienced driver,
I would agree with FLMudCJ, that a winch is a better option for an inexperienced driver.

Jeff
89 YJ
There is no "TRY", Just "DO" or "DONT DO"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2001, 11:00 PM
Way Outta Control

Get a winch... seen the latest Harbor Freight Catalog? Generic 8000 lb winch for $300 and free shipping. Rumor has it, it's a Ramsey. Heck, ya can't steal it for that!

Safe Jeepin'

LEVE
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2001, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

leve.. i would but I have bought so many things 2,3,4 times now.. i really am trying to get things that will last me and that i'll be happy with...
I'm getting the tires..but not the 39 boggers.. i dont have THAT kind of cash.. i didn't realize they were that pricey...no tire is worth $300 to me

~~Elusive~~
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]tj-7..tellico tested, uwharrie [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]safaried..1 ton drivetrain[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
oh yeah, and a 2000 tj,lift..etc
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2001, 12:18 AM
mudmonger

Get the tires first

Here are a couple of tire ideas. Swamper 38.5 x 14.5 SX-one of the toughest tires ever made-about $230 I think. The Mickey Baja Claw comes in a 38 now too. Both of these tires are awesome for multiple use or just plain mudding (the Claw does exceptionally well in the mud). Let us know what you get and how you like them. I use the SXs now. Laters.

NUFF SAID
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2001, 02:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

That is a tough one. IMHO, I think the Boggers are the worst all around off road tire ever, so based on that, I would spend the money on the winch. 38 inch Claws do exist, I know of 2 sets in the area. They work incredible in Snow, but from what I have heard, are not the greatest in mud. Right now, my next tires will be 38.5/16X15 Swampers. Great all around, work well anywhere Tire, and I bet you would save enough $, considering these over Boggers, that you could also buy a winch.

Ray

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2001, 02:19 AM
FlMudCJ

I just got my first set of TSL's ever, and compared to the generic 33" and thornburg 35" I've had before, these 36"s are excelent. Realistically, here in mostly mud and sand country in central Fl, I haven't seen but one set of claws, and on a prissy show jeep (I use the term jeep loosly, it came that way off the showroom floor, but is a stretch of the imagination). TSL's rule, with the mud-buggies running groundhawg / bogger combo's. At the mud runs its bogger if its street legal, cut paddle otherwise (duh). For more daily drivers the BFG M/T seems a popular choice. I haven't seen the claw in mud, but TSL and Bogger rule.

'77 CJ-5: 304/T-150/D-20 F-D44 R-9" Power 4 wheel disk, 36X12.5 swampers
bigmudtire
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2001, 09:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

elusive, get the tires. yeah i think paying $300+ for 39.5 boggers is crazy but maybe it's because i don't have that kinda $$$. the 39.5 tsl is only $220 per tire. i have the 38x14.50 sx's and i just bought newones from 4wheel parts for $199 per tire. the quoted me $217 per but i had an add from tyres international that said $199 so they matched it. before you buy read every add in your current mag's. the difference in price from place to place makes it worth it. you'll find the $$$ for a winch later. for now get you a good come-a-long or just use you hi-lift.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
efi351w/np435/d300/working on 1tons and 38's
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2001, 10:38 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I'd go for the tires too but not the claws. Of the 4 or 5 wheelers I have talked to that had a set, they all hated them. I thought about getting a set untill I talked to these guys. I have a winch but don't use it all that often. Like you said, you can get by for a couple of trips. What happened to your winch? If it's good one, it might be worth it to have it rebuilt.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode