Emission laws for engine or body ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2001, 07:56 PM
Frank360

Emission laws for engine or body ?

In general, and forgetting where I'm from, if I have a 79 engine in a 89 YJ, wich submits me to emission standards... I asked some mechanics that do the inspection (legal), and the majority told me the body.. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]For me this makes no sense to put cats on a 79 engine because it's in an after 82 (before don't need it around here) body !? Am I wrong thinking this way, or is there a reason, is it that the bodies before a such date would not be equiped to hold a cat ? I don't have none anyway, since my mechanic is as rebellious as I am (illegal)... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

A Jeep is a Jeep..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2001, 08:01 PM

Re: Emission laws for engine or body ?

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Sorry to say but I believe federal law states that if you have an 89, then any engine you swap in must a) be the same year or newer and b) have all of the smog equipment from that year functioning and swapped in.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] </font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My November article on ORC
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2001, 08:05 PM
Frank360

oh oh [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img], guess I'm in deep sh*t then eh... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

A Jeep is a Jeep..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2001, 08:07 PM
Keyboard Implanted

The year of the body is usually the guideline for the standards, but you know, it might matter anyway. I have an 82 GMC pickup with a 1970 motor. My GMC pickup has headers, dual exhaust, and no catalytic converter. It passed the emission test of two west coast states. If the engine your using is an oil sucking pig, blowing smoke, I doubt you will pass an emission test anywhere. If your engine has good compression, the carburetor is adjusted, and the timing is correct, your engine should pass the tail pipe tests. Now when it comes to looking under the hood, all bets are off. Good luck.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
dave

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2001, 08:25 PM
Frank360

Actually it's a 79 wag 360, it runs quite decently... doesn't burn any oil (yet)... just smokes a bit when I didn't start it for a while... I just run the stock exaust manifold, and cherry bombs, though my pipes stop under my butt, it's quite intoxicating at times (free buzz)... I don't hear often that somebody runs headers with cats, there would be no point in having headers...

A Jeep is a Jeep..
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2001, 08:47 AM
Can't Get Enough

Inspections usually go by the make, model, year...ergo the vin number. That sets everything including the engine size. Now if they don't do a visual inspection then they shouldn't know the difference. If you use the same size engine as original the year difference dosen't matter as much if the original air pollution equipment is installed. I've heard that putting a cat. conv. on will do a lot to improve emissions. You still have to have it running on the lean side. Also the richer it runs the shorter the life is of the cat. It helps to have a positive pressure air injection system(pump), I don't like the Pulse Air system, to help with post cylinder combustion. Also the smaller diameter honeycomb cats. are less restrictive, and will work well with headers. Good Luck.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2001, 08:57 AM
Frank360

I wonder, how many people on this board use cats on their offroad vehicles, especially if you have a bigger engine than stock... takin in account they take care of their engine and all... ??

A Jeep is a Jeep..
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2001, 12:34 PM
Keyboard Implanted

My vehicle DOES NOT a have catalytic converter and I have headers on my vehicles, and I still pass the tail pipe emission tests fine. My vehicle had a catalytic converter when it was new, but I removed the catalytic converter when I installed the headers. All that matters for tail pipe tests is the engine have good compression (at least 135 PSI on a warm cylinder) , the carburetor is not to rich, and the ignition timing is correct (both intial timing and advance curve timing). As for the engine size, that does not matter when the tail pipe is being tested. If an oil sucking pig 4 cylinder engine has only 95 PSI on a warm cylinder compression test, and the distributor vacuum advance does not work, the best vacuum the carburetor can be adjusted for at idle is only 12 HG, and the engine has catalytic converter, the engine is going to fail the tail pipe emission test. If the engine is 400 cubic inches, has 165 PSI compression on a warm cylinder, the carburetor is adjusted for 18 Hg of vacuum at idle, initial timing is 14 degress BTDC and total timing advance is 36 degress BTDC by 3200 RPM's uses headers, does not have a catalyic converter the engine will pass a tail pipe tests. I have the emissions tests results from both Oregon and Washington emission testing to prove it. Did either Oregon or Washington look under the hood? Hell yes, but the idot inspectors did not know the difference between a V6, V8 or Inline 6 cylinder engine. Unless you live in California, I doubt the emission testers in your area know the difference between a V6, V8 or Inline 6 cylinder, let alone what year the engine is. Most emission inspectors are just punching clock, waiting for the next break, and just hand out pass/fail slips of paper and only sometimes smile.
dave

post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2001, 07:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

It is my understanding that Federal Law requires that any engine swap must be made with a motor of equal or newer age than the vehicle it goes in. Each state makes up it's own rules about testing and inspection requirements. In Washington State, (not all areas are subject to testing) no visual inspection if done on the first test, so if you pass, it's over and you are on your way. If you fail,you have to bring in a receipt to prove that you had a certified shop perform a minimum of $125 worth of repairs in an attempt to make the vehicle pass the test. If you fail the second test you leave, make more repairs or not, and come back for a third test. If you fail the third test, they do a visual to make sure that ALL of the smog equipment that was stock on the vehicle is in place. If all is stock, they will give you a waiver and you may proceed to the Dept. of Licensing and pick up your tags. If the smog stuff is gone, you are busted and get to push your ride home as it will be no tags for you until the vehicle has all the original stuff in place. The good news is that once your vehicle is over 22 years old, at the next tag renewal, you no longer have to be tested. (I only have to wait until July now.)

Good Luck!
Kriss

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode