Can hard brake line be routed wo/disassembly? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2001, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Can hard brake line be routed wo/disassembly?

I'm putting in SS brake lines and couldn't disconnect the old one at the rear bracket (mucho rust and rounded nut). I'm out of options now so here comes Mr. Dremel. I'm looking at replacing the long hard line going from the master cyl. to the bracket too. Can this be routed without disassembling anything?

'91 YJ, I-6, 2.5" lift, sway bar is in the trash, Currie Boomerang shackles, 31 Michelins, D30 front, D35c with Lock-Right and a light foot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2001, 09:12 AM
Way Outta Control

Re: Can hard brake line be routed wo/disassembly?

If it's like my CJ you'll end up replacing the flex line to the rear end lines. That hose and fitting tends to rust together. I was able to get it apart with heat and then pull the retaining clip. I replace all the hard lines with new hard lines from the master cylinder to the proportioning valve and from there to along the frame to the front and the back. It's possible to do so without tub removal or bracketry removal, but it it a tight fit. Go slow, use a torch to free the existing lines and be prepared to sacrafice a part or too. Think before you route the tubes and watch what you're doing. You'll do fine.

Safe Jeepin'

LEVE
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2001, 09:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

it would be much easier to just replacethe old rusted lines. and in the long run it'll make any future mods. easier to install,if you don't have to fight with old rusted lines. it's not a hard job just take your time thats all. good luck, happy jeepin Gary

95 yj black. 4.0L .5.5 sup. lift 3 inch body lift 36x12.50 swampers, safri rackon top for my women.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2001, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Yeah, get this: the long hard line cost $15 and the short hard line to the rear left drum cost $45 from the dealersip !!! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Anybody get's this?!? Any other place to get the short line from?

'91 YJ, I-6, 2.5" lift, sway bar is in the trash, Currie Boomerang shackles, 31 Michelins, D30 front, D35c with Lock-Right and a light foot
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2001, 11:22 AM
Way Outta Control

If you've got to replace the hard lines accross the rear axle, it's an easy job. Again, heat up the old compression fittings on the wheel cylinder assembly and on the flex line "T". This should free it up. Then go to the autoparts store and get two 60" hard brake lines of the same diameter, a tubing cutter, flairing tool, and a hand bender. The total price for this will be about $25. Then, using your old lines for a form, reform the brake line to the old lines form, cut the tubes and reflair the ends. I'd highly advise coating the newly made tubes with a couple of coats of Hammerite before install. This keeps outside rust to a minimum. The re-install and you're done.... new brake lines on the cheap!

Safe Jeepin'

LEVE
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2001, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Thanks, I thought of this but the nut that screws into the wheel cylinder is not open on the inside. Another words, the tube is not going through it it ends inside somehow which is strange. I can't see the flared end of the tube so how is it sealed? I'll look into options of refitting the old lines although I already cut the one attached to the wheel cylinder. I also gotta get me some flare nut wrenches. I should've thought of that earlier (see rounded nut reference above). [sad]

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2001, 01:01 PM
Way Outta Control

On the CJ the tube enters the wheel cylinder from behind the backing plate. The wheel cylinder is held on with two bolts. The tube enter in from between these two bolts. The tube is surrounded by a nut. The nut is a standard type of compression fitting. That is the nut is surrounding the tube and the tube is flaired. The flair fits into the wheel cylinder assembly and then the nut compresses the flair against the machined surface of the wheel cylinder assembly. This forces the tub against the wheel cylinder assembly and prevents fluid leaks. I just looked at the YJ Parts Breakdown in the Quadratec catalog and it looks like the assembly is basically the same. Get a good break wrench that will remove that nut without rounding, apply a little heat to loosen it and you should have no problem removing the tube.

If worse comes to worse you can remove the two bolts, cut the tube and withdraw the wheel cylinder assembly. Remove the guts from the cylinder. Then put it in a vice and heat the bejezzzus out of the fitting and use a good old pair of vice grips tightened as tight as you can get it on the fitting and turn. It should come out. There's got to be a fitting.

Safe Jeepin'

LEVE
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2001, 02:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Larry,
I'm assuming that your $25 means renting/borrowing the tools to do this. A quality double flaring tool runs $70 and up. If you do your own tubing you MUST use a double flare. The single ones will crack and your brakes will fail. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.

'75 CJ5,258 w/Howell EFI,T18a,4.27's,33's,On-board air,Warn 8274
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2001, 04:43 PM
Addict

I agree, but if the fittings are that rusty, I'd just replace the wheel cylinders also. They aren't very expensive, so if you're going so far as to pull the old ones to get the fittings out it only makes sense.

If your kidneys don't hurt, it's not a real Jeep!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2001, 07:20 PM
Way Outta Control

Snowtow, explain a double flair. The hand flairing tool produced a flair equal to the OEM flair. I'd like to know more...

Safe Jeepin'

LEVE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode