Anyone have those base-of-windshield light tabs? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2001, 06:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Anyone have those base-of-windshield light tabs?

Does anyone have these? They bolt over the top portion of the hinge holding on the windshield. I got some from Steel Horse because I removed my light bar. I was trial fitting them, and naturally the damn bolt holes don't line up. Anyone else experience this?

canis
'82 CJ-7/360/727/D300/M.O.R.E. shackles and lots of ideas!

Have you kissed your JEEP lately?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2001, 07:30 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Anyone have those base-of-windshield light tabs?

I have them. I don't think they are Steel Horse though. They lined up for me fine. They work really well especially with the Hella safari lights (Handle on top).

I really hate to say it, but from my experience with Steel Horse, holes not lining up correctly, or parts not fitting properly is standard operating procedure [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img].
For this reason, I will pay a little more for anyone other than SH [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img].

Are they way off? If you put on big bolts with wide heads, and paint them, it should cover the "adjustment" work, and be a lot easier than a Torx to remove (shhhh, I didn't say that [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img])
Take 'em back if you can.

Scott
'85 CJ7_(0|||0)_T.H.O.R.
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]"Tantrums Happen Often during Repairs"
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]"Totally Happy Off Road"
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2001, 10:24 PM

hey save your money i just welded tabs on to the hinges repainted the hinges and worked like a charm saved me some bucks to boot

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2001, 10:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I bought the same set and test fitted them, took me 15 minutes, just to figure out which way they go on. Just make sure you got them postioned right before you give up.

Rich

76 CJ5 304 "its a JEEP thing, I hope you understand"
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2001, 08:33 AM
Can't Get Enough

I guess not to many people fold the windshield down. This will fold the lights down too, right? Does anyone make light brackets that will hold their position when the windshield goes down?

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2001, 08:46 AM
Keyboard Implanted

i bought the steel horse ones too...and the side bolts didnt line up.....so i just installed them using the front two bolts...works ok...but doesnt look great...oh well

<font color=red>Jeep'n Greg</font color=red>

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2001, 11:43 AM

I have a set of those Steel Horse brackets also. I bought them about 2 years ago and I played Hell with them getting them to line up. I had to get all of the bolts started before cranking them down and even had to elongate 2 of the holes. They are not very good quality.
They are probably one of the worst places you can run a set of offroad lights also. Im not even sure why I havent removed them yet. for one thing if you do put down your windshield it messes up the aim of your lights, and you cant use them with the windshield down. But even worse is the fact that they are in a terrible location for illumination. If there is any dust in the air from vehicles in front of you the reflection off of the dust, and your hood scatters a glare across the windshield that is blinding. Its also at the perfect level to blind everyone in front of you, including spotters.
I find the lights mounted on the bumper work 100% better, because you can aim them out far enough to see without blinding others on the trail. Actually I like using rock lights the best of all.
Here is a pic of my light set up, like I said though I dont even use the windshield mounts because they are so annoying to myself and everyone else.

Jeff
89 YJ
There is no "TRY", Just "DO" or "DONT DO"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-322847-rocklights1.JPG (75.1 KB, 1 views)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2001, 12:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey H8,

The SWB-BBS sticker looks good on the YJ. The rock lights aren't bad either.

Are you still running the Tera Low 4:1 kit in you NP231? I'm seriously thinking about one for my YJ as well. Is it strong enough???

Ron R. - 90 YJ w/ good stuff [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2001, 12:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well down south you almost have to leave your windshield up, for protection from mud and limbs mostly. Otherwise you will get popped in the face by mud with rocks in it(been there, done that w/ 4 wheeler when I was 15, almost lost some teeth). Of course a full cage would stop the limbs, but those rocks in mud just plain hurts.

We can't really mount lights on the front of bumpers here either(I already took mine off, b/c of ineffectiveness). Mud will cover the entire front in the first mi. of trail. No lights on top of vehicle either, the limbs will have those for desert. I was actually thinking that this was the most protected place was on the hinge. But I didn't think about the dust stuff, maybe this will require some more thinking. Oh, well.

Jason

<font color=green>----------------</font color=green>
<font color=green>[]llll[] '90 YJ</font color=green>
<font color=green>"There are no shortcuts to any place worth going."-Anon.</font color=green>
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2001, 01:12 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

This has to be the easiest thing to make, no offense to anyone, but I can't understand why anyone would pay money for a bracket that mounts a light here.

Any monkey with a piece of metal, a vice, a drill, and a hammer can make a bracket for this. It's a one-banana job. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I've seen some homemade ones and they work great! (That's the bracket that works great, not the location)

H8's is the perfect input that I like to see, though. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Those lights look cool in that location, but if they are useless, then I see no point in putting them there. I always wondered if the light reflected off the hood... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Thanks H8!
Pete [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

88 YJ-retiring to trails soon
79 4WD F250-hauler/tower of my toys [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
70 Jaguar E-type - the best car England ever made. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
??? pavement-pounder for work/school - opinions wanted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode