post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2001, 09:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Got my torx degree!

1 grammatical error
2 T-40 bits
1 easy-out
3 drill bits
and 20 dremmel cutting wheels later...

I've received my graduate degree in torx bolts! I finally got the last one out last night, after destroying the old windshield frame and ripping/twisting it off the hinge bracket. I took the dremmel and cut away the square nut in little pieces until I could finally pry it off with a screwdriver.

Now for installing the new frame. What parts will I need to replace from the old one? The foam cowl seal thingy, I'm sure. Anything else? Everything I pulled off seems to be in good shape.

canis
'82 CJ-7/360/727/D300/M.O.R.E. shackles and lots of ideas!

Have you kissed your JEEP lately?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2001, 11:10 AM
Way Outta Control

Re: Got my torx degree!

Before you install the new frame slosh some good thick gooey paint around on the inside. Make the sucker drip! This will help retard rust for the next frame.... unless you go fiberglass, of course. I'd use a new windshield glass seal as well as a new cowl seal if the old ones were on the frame for any longer than a year or so. Then you know what you've got. Make sure you seal up the cowl seal and all sides of the windshiel seal wtih some good ol' RTV, permatex or it's equivlant.

Oh yeah, paint the frame before you put on all the extra stuff and be sure to use Lots and lots of anti-sieze compound on all the bolts you put back in the hinges. Lube the heck out of your widshield wiper arms, bearing surfaces, pivots and pivot bearings.

If the frame is aftermarket you may want to strenghten the windshield pivot area now while welding, drilling, etc. are still an option. Also the aftermarket frames often need to have the glass ground down, or the windshield opening enlarged before you can install the windshiled. Measure this carefully so you don't end up destorying a windshield.

Safe Jeepin'

LEVE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode