Lift Kit - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2001, 08:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Lift Kit

Can someone tell me what I need to do to lift a cj7? Can I just extend the sprig shackles? or do I need a kit?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2001, 09:44 AM

Re: Lift Kit

you can extend your shackles though you should only extend them a total of 2" so you get 1" of lift, any more an your jeep will give you real problems such as wierd steering, axle wrap, worn out springs, busted spring mounts, lots of stuff you don't want. Another cheep lift option is a body lift, thoug it should also be used in moderation, 1" is for sure safe, 2" is pushing it, and 3" is asking for trouble, anything higher than 3" is illegal in some states and just plain stupid. Also another cheep lift option is an add a leaf, this is an extra spring leaf that you add to your spring pack, it will provide about 1-2" of lift and arn't too expensive, but will ride a little hard and will sag in a couple years. The best option is a lift spring which are avilable in lifts from about 1-4" with some 6" springs out there. Just don't get a spring though, it's a good idea to get extend break lines, new longer shock, corected steering componets, longer bump stops, new bushings and some other things depending on the jeep and the lift. Also keep in mind that cj axles arn't the toughest things ever, especially the model 20 with 2 piece shafts, you can add 1 piece shafts for more streangth but an saxle swap may be a good idea.
barrelroll

'95 YJ Totaled!
Now All I have is an insurance Claim

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2001, 10:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

For one what size tires do you wanna run? Next are you looking for good flex or great ride? (if your looking for a GREAT RIDE switch cars) How much are you looking to spend. You can get some cheap shackles and lift it, but it very unsafe unless used moderately. Let us know some more information...

<font color=blue> Muddynut </font color=blue>
<font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] 78 CJ7 "Issues" </font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2001, 06:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

we are just looking to raise it up a little bit, it just sits to low. Stock tires are on it right now.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2001, 09:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

How about getting some 2.5 lift kit.. some new shocks and replace the shackles with factory length but heavy duty.

<font color=blue> Muddynut </font color=blue>
<font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] 78 CJ7 "Issues" </font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2001, 12:10 PM
Old Hand

The good news is that lift kits for CJs are probably the least expensive of all. For a 2.5" lift you will most likely get new shrings, bushings, u-bolts, and shocks in the kit. I am guessing around $350 for that kind of kit roughly.

If you go larger than that, you will most likely need brake line extensions (sometimes existing lines can be relocated), and a dropped steering arm (pitman arm). This corrects steering angles that get messed up when lifting.

If you go with a 2.5" lift, you will be able to fit larger tires (probably around 31x10.5x15). If you go with something like a 4" lift, you will be able to fit 33x12.5x15s. If you are only looking for an inch or two a combination of the above mentioned body lift and shackle lift and add-a-leafs would probably do it. I wouldn't do all three to get 2.5 inches. At that point you would be better off (less expensive and better stability) getting a simple 2.5" lift kit.

This is something anyone can do with some basic mechanical ability and about 4-8 hours of time.

When I first had a wrangler I decided to put the lift kit on. I did it myself. I even had the help of my three sons: 8 year old, 2 year old, 6 month old baby. It took about 7-8 hours. Without all of the help, I'm sure I could have done it in about 5 hours.

-raymo
Scrambler
258 4.0 Head/MPI,NV4500,D300,4.10's,HS9500
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2001, 12:25 PM

just get $75ish and buy a 2" body lift kit. You can put it on in a day and it'll make a ton of difference in the appearance. Then, save up $400-$500 and get you a nice 4" suspension lift kit if you want to go higher. Start low and build up. Don't lift it too high if you plan on keeping the stock tires, it'll look funny.
big ed

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Big Ed
<font color=red>'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,35's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c</font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode