Off Roading Forums banner

Clutch/Tranny Squeaking

256 views 0 replies 0 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
I purchased a '97 TJ (4.0 L 5-speed manual trans.) two months ago. A month ago, I noticed a very audible squeaking coming from somewhere in the drivetrain (probably the gearbox) whenever the clutch is disengaged. Pressing the clutch in an inch or more stops the squeaking, but it resumes once I release it, whether it is in gear or not. It occurs only after the vehicle has been driven for a while, not when it is cold. It was also leaking fluid. Since it was under warranty, I took it back to the dealership where I purchased it, and they re-sealed the tranny and replaced the clutch throuwout bearing(s?) I just got it back, and it is still squeaking. I'm guessing that if the mechanic test drove it, they didn't drive it long enough for the squeaking to start again. Has anyone on this board experienced a similar squeaking problem? Is this something that is a known issue with this particular model? Are there any other internet sites where I could further research? I don't think it is unreasonable for me to expect to have a transmission that doesn't squeak. Am I being unreasonable? I intend to go back to the dealer and let them try to fix it again, but my frustration factor is rising!

I am a newbie to this site. If this isn't the best place to post this question, or if anyone knows of a better place to post it, please let me know.

Thanks,
David

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.