Need help bleeding CJ7 brakes. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2000, 09:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Need help bleeding CJ7 brakes.

I replaced the rear brake hose on my '85 CJ and I need to bleed the system. I did one side at a time on all four wheels and my brakes are still way spongy and I have very poor braking . I read in the 4wd parts catalog that you should hold the proportioning valve open when you bleed the system? How do you do this? My brakes have never been very good prior to this. I replaced the master cylinder with a new one, rebuilt both front calipers and it still sucks! I drove a friends CJ and his brakes were 100% better and I could even lock them up. Please help, I'm out of ideas. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2000, 09:46 AM

Re: Need help bleeding CJ7 brakes.

Jeep used several different proportioning valves over the years. What year is your 7?

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2000, 09:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I know only one way to bleed brakes. its a 2 person thing.

person 1 pumps the brakes while the bleeder is closed. While the pedal is to the floor, person 2 bleeds the brake and listen for air. Close the bleeder and person 1 pumps the pedal again. Do this until there is no air and only fluid.. Remember the pedal must to the floor when you open the bleeder.

1997 TJ w/ 33's & 1984 CJ7 V8/35's
http://members.aol.com/a4x4jeeper/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2000, 09:51 AM

When you bleen your breaks, start with the tire farthest from your mstr cyl and work to the closest tire. The sequence should be, RR, RL, FR, then FL. Don't forget to tighten your shoes down on your drums in the rear too, you should just be able to push your rear tires to get them to spin, they should not spin freely.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Big Ed
<font color=red>'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,33's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c</font color=red>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2000, 10:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had the EXACT same problem on my 82 CJ5. Don't worry a second about the proportioning valve. Start at the passenger rear, then driver rear, passenger front, driver front. The spongy feeling is because there is air way up the line. Pump fluid thru until the old black fluid starts looking like the new clear fluid (you should replace fluid from time to time anyhow). This will solve your problem.
Also, make sure your fittings are tight at the master cylinder. Otherwise you'll be bleeding fluid all day long!

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2000, 11:30 AM
sheesley

I just did this th eother day when I completed my spring over and had all new lines. Start with the rear passenger side as mentioned above...but then go to the passenger front, then th epassenger rear, then back to the passenger front. This activates the proportion valve and evens evrything out. Repeat this with the other side. It is VERY important that you do one side at a time and start with the passenger side rear. Make sure your fluid is always topped off. Also.....make sure that your brake self adjuster (its the silver screw type thing at the bottom of your rear brakes) is adjusted all the way out...jut far enough that you can fit your drums over your pads. Make sure you have the right adjuster for the pass and driver side...this makes a difference, they are threaded differently! Also...if all this is complete...bleeded and self adjuster tight and correct adjusters....go in reverse a few times and hit the brakes quick and hard to tighten them....it should work...tak enote of the correct adjuster problem.....commonly people will mix th etwo up ...and they must be out all the way so your drum BARELY slides over your brake shoes.

CJ-7 10"lift

[img]C:\my documents\jeepprofile11.jpg[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2000, 11:33 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

It's an '85. Yes, I had my brother pump the brakes and hold while I released the bleed screw, tightened it, and repeat. I bought a one-person vacume bleed tool that I will try. I think I started at the right rear, but I can't remember.

I saw in the latest 4wd Parts catalog a tech tip in the brakes section that said to hold the proportioning valve open when bleeding the system. They went on to say call and ask for more information. I might do that.

sheesley, what you said makes sense. I will give everything a try.

Thanks for everybody's help. (BIG WAVE)

post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2000, 06:11 PM

I used a handvacume pump on mine when I did the rear axels, make sure you keep the Master cylinder full and something to dump the old fluid into ,those kits have small jars.There were two kinds of proportioning valves used at least in 1980 there were.I was concerned about it too but no one else ever heard of the tools to use to keep them in the position so I just went ahead and bled them .

Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2000, 07:24 PM
Official Curmudgeon

If all else fails, use the gravity system. Remove the top from the reservoir and fill to capacity. Open one
bleeder screw and go watch TV for a while, checking the level at every commercial. Once the level
drops to about 1/2 way down in the reservoir, close the bleeder screw and go to the next. Do this for
all four corners. NEVER let the reservoir get empty or you will have to start all over again.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode