full width axles on wrangler - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2001, 12:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

full width axles on wrangler

can I run a front dana 44 (chevy) front, and a matching rear axle without narrowing? By may calculations, the existing spring pads on the 44 axle are only about 1" wider than those on a stock wrangler so I am not really worried about that. I also want to run a 305, sm465 for tranny and tcase. Will I have a front driveshaft clearance problem? Or will it clear ok? Anyone done this before, on a wrangler?
Dan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2001, 01:41 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: full width axles on wrangler

the spring perches for my chevy axle were closer that that.. i bolted the axle right in no mods to the perches. the sm465 tranny is fine.. if you are using an np 205, there will be no clearance problems except for ground clearance!!. the np205 hangs down a long way under a jeep..sure is strong though.

~~Elusive~~
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]tj-7..tellico tested, uwharrie [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]safaried..1 ton drivetrain[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
oh yeah, and a 2000 tj,lift..etc
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2001, 02:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Elusive, you keep mentioning that yours bolted in with no problems. What you fail to mention is that you are using a TJ frame which is wider. I'm not trying to be nitpicky, but your lack of info could be misleading.

'75 CJ5,258 w/Howell EFI,T18a,4.27's,33's,On-board air,Warn 8274
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2001, 05:28 PM
Keyboard Implanted

is a tj frame wider than a yj frame?? i really thought they were the same...only the cj frame was more narrow.. i know the tj and yj are the same width in the back, and i thought they were the same in the front too.

~~Elusive~~
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]tj-7..tellico tested, uwharrie [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]safaried..1 ton drivetrain[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2001, 08:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I will double check my measurements, but it sounds like the YJ frame is an inch narrower than the TJ. The CJ frames are indeed considerable narrower than the YJ, like 4 inches at least. Elusive, have any pics of your Jeep with the full width axles? How wide is it?
Dan

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2001, 06:01 AM
Keyboard Implanted

do a search o my posts or check out the website below.. lots of pics

~~Elusive~~
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2001, 11:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

is it really that easy? i was told that you had to move the springs outboard for some reason.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2001, 04:55 AM
Keyboard Implanted

on a cj you do have to move the springs outboard.. a yj you shouldnt have too.. since they are 4 inches wider.. i have a yj frame and a wagoneer axle full width in the front.. granted... its not quite as wide as a chevy d44..

http://www.jeepgod.net

84 CJ-7 401/T-18/D20/D44/D60w/4.10&Detriots/YJ frame & tub/35x16x15 Boggers
<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2001, 05:06 PM
Keyboard Implanted

i finally got off my lazy but and measured a yj and my tj frame today.. they are identical in width and length front and rear. therefore.. it is a true statement that a chevy full sive axle out of an 83 pickup will bolt right into a yj...although the diff is on the wrong side. the spring perches dont have to be moved and are the correct width, the brake lines will fit and are long enough. the rear axle is also a direct bolt in, but you'll have to grind the perches for a better angle on the rear pinion.
seems like my next jeep i build will have a yj frame with these same axles, a 4.0 and a dana 300 x-fer case.. little work...much strength

~~Elusive~~
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2001, 05:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Elusive,
How did you convert the chevy front axle over to the type of steering you need on the wrangler?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode