Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   How are Pro-Comp tires? (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/54091-how-pro-comp-tires.html)

kutyafal 01-23-2001 12:38 PM

How are Pro-Comp tires?

Since I didn't find any info in the old posts I'll ask: how are the Pro-Comp MTs? I'm thinking of getting these in 33s. I like the siped center vs. the BFGs and otherwise there're the same, aren't they? Thanks.

'91 YJ, I-6, 2.5" lift, 31s, D30 front, D35c with Lock-Right rear.

**DONOTDELETE** 01-23-2001 01:57 PM

Re: How are Pro-Comp tires?

I have the Pro comp MT's 33x12.5 mounted on 15x8 rims. I've been running them for about 4 months now. I love them so far, great traction on the rocks and in the snow, and do pretty well in the mud too... I got 4 of them from FWPW mounted on the rockcrawler black rims for $510 shipped to MA. I kept calling them and they gave me a drastically different quote each time. Then I called at night once, and the guy said $510 shipped, and I said YES. Strange though, because I called 4 hours earlier, and a different guy quoted me $760. Very weird way of doing business, but hey what the hell...
Tom

**DONOTDELETE** 01-23-2001 03:19 PM

My buddy has them in 33s and he impressed me so much I got myself a set. Nothing but mud around here and they do very well in it. They are also well mannered on the road not loud at all almost wish they were louder. In the mud for the price I don't think you can beat em. I paid 875 for 5 of them mounted on 15x10 black rockcrawlers and that was shipping lugs center caps and everything. Same deal with 4wpw though. I ordered from them but called several times recieving three different prices. I also got them to throw in a tow strap.

K-16

**DONOTDELETE** 01-23-2001 03:57 PM

The BFG's have 3-ply sidewalls, the Procomps have 2-ply. I've heard a lot of people say they've had good luck with them though.

**DONOTDELETE** 01-23-2001 10:13 PM

I have a set of 33's abd they are killer. really quiet on the road also. I got mine at the local 4 Wheel Wholesale but3 get one free! All four tires for $375... Can't beat that.
Sam

jps4ever 01-24-2001 12:13 AM

I have a buddy that is running the 33 12.50s on his YJ and he loves them. They run the buy 3 get 1 free pretty often, can't beat that. The tires are not too loud and do well in the mud and rock. We all run 35s or better and he is eating his heart out! Not sure if the pro comps come in 35s but I'm sure they do.

**DONOTDELETE** 01-24-2001 01:06 AM

They come in 35s and me and my buddy are both wishing we had gone with 35s.

K-16

**DONOTDELETE** 01-24-2001 06:04 AM

Hey T-bone, thanks to a rock, I once punched a hole about the size of a silver dollar in the sidewall of a tire that didn't have much of a sidewall. I don't remember the number of plies, but I do remember changing the tire in the rain.

kutyafal 01-24-2001 08:27 AM

The main reason I was thinking of Pro-Comp is the siping in the center would make it more versatile. Would that be true? I think the right rock and a heavy right foot will put a hole through the side of any tire. Also, with the Dana 35c in the rear with Lock-Right I'll better stick with 33s or it could get pricey. Let's see 35s D44 rear at $2000, SYE at $700, 2" more lift at $1000 will it never end? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

'91 YJ, I-6, 2.5" lift, sway bar is in the trash, Currie Boomerang shackles, 31 Michelins, D30 front, D35c with Lock-Right and a light foot ;)

**DONOTDELETE** 01-24-2001 11:43 AM

Just FYI, the new BFG MT's are coming out this summer. They have the more aggressive sidebiter-esque sidewall tread, a slightly redesigned tread pattern, the tri-gard sidewalls...and I think they will have the siping. We've started getting promotional pictures of them at work, and in some pictures you can clearly see sipes, while in others its very hard to tell...

Moneyless, Will weld for jeep accessories.