Quadratrac/not working - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2001, 08:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Quadratrac/not working

I have a 79 cj7/304/auto,quadratrac.Currently only powering the front end.I am assuming the clutch pack in the transfer case is slipping. I have not pulled it apart yet,but,my question is can the main shaft be welded to make it fulltime
4x4.I will put lockouts on the front,but has anyone done or heard of this.I don't spend that much time on the asphalt so am not to concerned how it will drive on the road. TIA

IF I BUY ANYMORE TOYS,I'M A DEAD MAN!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2001, 11:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Quadratrac/not working

I havent't heard of welding up the internals, but ask CJDave, the guy is a walking Q-trac encyclopedia. Good luck!

Steve M
1976 CJ-7, 304, TH400, Q-Trac, 4:10's, 33x12.5 Goodyear MT's, blah, blah , blah...

"Heavy guns - Reach out and touch someone"
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2001, 02:46 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I suspect that the differential side gear for the rear output has stripped the internal splines. It isn't all that unusual. You can test that by engaging "Emergency" drive which locks the rear output direct to the barrel differential housing. That would make positive drive to the rear axle, and the front would drive by cone clutch resistance and what litttle drag there was from the slipped rear output splines. It isn't too hard to find a QT differential on this BBS, because so many have been converted to part-time. My approach is to disable the clutches to go to totally open all wheel drive (for snow of course), and THAT is real easy to do also.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2001, 11:16 PM

I have one sitting around my garage that I pulled out and went to Dana 300. It has the part time conversion kit and I believe I still have all the old parts in a box. Make me an offer.... I live is San Diego County

78 CJ7 304V8 Fully locked. I got Grip!!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2001, 12:03 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] There you go Bootsy....... Just have Wally send you his old differential and you'll be set. You can go with an all-wheel drive unlocked center differential with vacuum lockup.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode