Vibration Damper - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2001, 06:09 AM
RCJ7

Vibration Damper

Is there any tricks to pulling off a Vibration Damper with out wrecking it. I tried pulling the one off my 258 with a OTC Vibration puller. It started to come off but I ended up breaking the center of the Damper that was left on the crank. Well I ordered a new Damper, but there must be a trick to pulling it off. So next time do I need to heat it up and smack it a few times. Its been on there for 15 years.
RCJ7

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2001, 07:15 AM

Re: Vibration Damper

i would try spraying it with something like B'Laster daily for a week and then heat it up with a heat gun. this will keep from buring the B'Laster and help expand the balancer. i have never seen one break like that, and only use the cheapo pullers. you may want to spray it down, drive it back on a little, and then try pulling it again. this should help get a little lubricant between the parts. hope this helps and good luck! matt

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2001, 11:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I wouldn't recomend whacking it with a hammer. Most balancers have a rubber sleeve between the inside and outside pieces. When you hit it, the two pieces will start to seperate. You are talking about a puller that bolts to the holes where the crank pulley was bolted to and not a jaw type puller that goes over the outside of the dampner? That sounds odd that the dampner would break if you were using the correct puller.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2001, 09:32 PM
Addict

The dampers are press fit obviously. They are usually G3000 cast iron, and they will break, especially if you hit it with a hammer. I think you should try working it off back and forth.

If your kidneys don't hurt, it's not a real Jeep!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode