wranglers? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

wranglers?

i am VERRY new to this....
i have a old 85 GMC 2500 that i have done a little offroading in but not to amount to any thing realy just small dirt hills compard to the stuff i see you guys doing in the pics.
but now i want to move up in the world and get a jeep wrangler i see that most of the ones that are for sale here in san deigo are 4cyl is that normal there are a few 6 cyl but not to manny does it make a big differnce or is it just kinda being able to say that "i have a 6 its way better."
i do need to drive to school and work every day witch is probly arounda total of 25 miles or so there and back. is this ok on a jeep i have allways heard they suck on road and will basicly fall apart. i plan to spend around 6000 and i have seen some good lookers for that about 94'ish mostly in the 4 cyl but some in 6cyl do you think that i will beable to get an ok starting point for that? i will build up later .

thanks for any help and im sorry for the long messege and all the spelling-grammer errors i know im bad at writeing

mike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2001, 12:07 AM
Enthusiast

Re: wranglers?

6 cyl does make a difference. 4 bangers with proper gearing do just fine off-road, but if you want some power on freeway, go with I-6.

1992 Jeep YJ, 4.0, 5sp, 32" BFG ATs
http://dennisuello.tripod.com/
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2001, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

ok cool
thanks alot. do you think driveing every day about 30 miles most all together is going to be hard on a jeep?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2001, 09:18 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Not at all. They're very good over the road, except when compared to a Cadillac, better riding than a truck. Get the 6 cyl, without a doubt, and the Wrangler is very good in stock form for wheeling, you'll be surprised where you can go. What price range are you looking for? The newer Wranglers have coil suspensions, which are a little smoother over the road than the older Wranglers. They also have a few more features to them, and the price drops all the time. The only downside is if you decide to build it, it'll cost more due to having the coil suspension. Nothing wrong with a '94 model year though, good jeep.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2001, 10:52 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Go with the 4.0L 6 cylinder. The 2.5L is a fine Jeep but having two of them and then purchasing a 6 cylinder there isn't any choice.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2001, 06:28 PM

Wranglers are great had a 95. The 4 is alright in town and on the trail but on the highway they just plane suck, they can't do above 65. You are probably wondering the abbrievations we use TJ new square headlight wrangler 97-01, yj old square head light wranglers 87-95, cj pre wrangler swb jeep. So you are thinking of getting a yj most likely. They arn't bad on the road don't ride like a lugury car but most liklely won't kill you.
BarrelRoll

'95 YJ Totaled!
Now All I have is an insurance Claim

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2001, 07:10 PM
Keyboard Implanted

You are probably wondering the abbrievations we use TJ new square headlight wrangler 97-01

Just a little mistake, I thought the tj's had round headlights but maybe there is just alot of coil sprung cj's running around my town. Sorry, but i had to add that.

80 cj7, 304, auto, 33" tsl swampers, 4" softride superlift, warn bellvue winch, custom front winch bumper
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2001, 07:46 PM

At all costs, avoid the '87-89 Wranglers. The transmission will fall apart under almost any type of off-roading. '91 and newer are really the ones too look at due to the 4.0L H.O. engine, which is fantastic! If you can find a '95 you will get stronger U-joints in the front axle. The U-joint is the most common part to break, so if you can, buy a '95.

The '97 or newer Wranglers are really slick machines. The beat the YJs hands down in any category I can think of except that they cost more to modify. They can do so much more in stock form though (with a good driver) that its not even funny.

'Gator Chaser
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2001, 09:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You have to keep in mind that you get alot of opinions from people who say things suck, but only because they have heard they suck. For instance I have an 88 wrangler with 32 inch tire's and stock gears. I have no problem reaching 85 miles an hour on the way to work. When at 65 miles an hour I can punch it and it still has power to pull to well above 80. You hear alot of people who say procomp lifts suck. How many of those people have actually ran a procomp lift on there ride? Everybody kept telling me what a piece of junk my BA-10 tranny was. Shure it isn't the stoutest, but I have wheeled the hell out of it this whole year and haven't had any problems what so ever. The guy who owned it before me drove it like he stole it. Basically what I am trying to say is take in all of the posts, and get as many opinions as possible before buying a jeep. The more research you do the better discision you will make.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2001, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

wow thanks for all the help i am going to realy start looking hard for one now.
i am looking to spend around 6000 or 6500 not too much but enough to give me a plat form to build on later. do you think i could get something dessent for that? i dont car about stereos and all that. kinda unusal for a teenager not to car bout that kinda crap but personaly i think its kinda a wast of mouny

thanks again for all the help you guys gave i hoe to get a jeep and come here and learn even more in the future.
mike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode