Kevin Low
84 CJ7
SE Michigan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 10:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Finding 350 w/nv4500 donor

If you are considering this then first purchace both the Advance Adapters Buyers Guide and AA NV4500 manual. They explain where to find these trannys and you will need both manuals anyway for the swap. The AA Buyers Guide is a free Acrobat download and I belive that the NV4500 manual will have to be purchaced.

Now for the news that you don't want to hear. It is cheaper to buy a Dodge NV4500 and Chevy 350 separatly than a Chevy 350 w/ Chevy NV4500. The reason lies in the Chevy NV4500 tailhousing. You will not be able to bolt a Jeep series NP x-fer(or Atlas) to a Chevy tailhousing and I also believe that the tranny output shaft is incorect as well. It will have to be changed to the expensive(at least from AA) Dodge tailhousing. Actually I think that NVG is the only producer of these tailhousings(did you know that the 5th gear is actually in the tailhousing, not inside the cast iron tranny). I turns out to be cheaper to buy the AA bellhousing and actually turn the front of a Dodge NV4500 into the Chevy type.

Now some will tell you that you cannot use the diesel version of the Dodge NV4500 in your swap, b/c of the larger bering retainer. The one in my YJ will tell you differently. To use the diesel version you will have to turn the front bering retainer in a lathe(if interested then I can get you the measurements and the different throuwout bering part #). I chose the diesel version b/c of the heaver berings means more durability.

Some will also go for the early Chevy NV4500 b/c of the lower first gear. But you will have to still change out that tailhousing, and the first gear is unsynchronized. Also there is a big difference in the gears(I believe that the big difference is between 1st and 2nd). John at JB Conversions has put some early Chevy low first gears with closer gears w/ a synchroed first as well. But as everything that is the best it comes at a cost($$$$$).

Jason

<font color=green>----------------</font color=green>
<font color=green>[]llll[] '90 YJ, NV4500, XD9000i, 35" MT/R, Snorkle, 4.5" RE lift, Tera Revolvers, etc. etc.</font color=green>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode