Now THERE is a tow vehicle! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Now THERE is a tow vehicle!

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] I saw an ad for the new GM pickups last week and the ad said that GM is putting Allison Automatic Transmissions in their heavy duty pickups. IT'S ABOUT TIME SOMEBODY WOKE UP!!!!!!![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 04:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Now THERE is a tow vehicle!

It's just too bad that the 4wd versions only have about 6" of clearance between the frame rail and the ground. I drove a diesel version with the Allison last week and it is nice. I'll stick with my 5spd Powerstroke though. The best thing about it is it's paid for.

'75 CJ5,258 w/Howell EFI,T18a,4.27's,33's,On-board air,Warn 8274
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 05:36 PM
Keyboard Implanted

i saw that too dave.. i am thinking that might be my next tow rig when the tj is paid off...

~~Elusive~~
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]tj-7..tellico tested, uwharrie [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]safaried..1 ton drivetrain[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
oh yeah, and a 2000 tj,lift..etc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 05:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Iused to drive an F-600 with an Allison in it that thing was industructable this is a very good idea putting that kind of tranny in a pick up it ought to last for the life of the truck and then some.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] So many folks have never really understood this, but the reason that the light duty diesels beat up on automatic trannys so much is that the engine torque comes on BEFORE the RPM of the transmission is sufficient to build much oil pressure and the oil pressure is what has to set the bands so they won't slip. It has been years since I have had an Allison.....I got one together with an engine through army surplus for one of our well rigs.....but as I recall they are simple internally, and have a lot of square area on the hydraulic servos that hold the tranny in each gear. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 06:45 PM

That alison truck should be nice. But, try to get one. My dad went looking for one and couldn't even get a firm date to deliver one. He had to settle for a Ford instead.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 08:30 PM

Friend of mine works at the factory repair station here in Mobile. After each and every overhaul of each tranny their hook it up to this motor that acts like the engine and they try to destroy the tranny. They slam it in gear. floor the power to it, drive at high rpm for periods of time. Bossman believes if he cannot tear it up neither can the client.

<font color=red> brownbagg </font color=red>
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2001, 11:18 AM
TEX

<font color=purple>It's a 5-speed Allison with 3.10:1 first gear & .71:1 5th (4th is 1:1). Has an "engine grade braking" feature (step on the brakes on a downhill grade & it will automatically downshift to save your brakes). Definitely the cream of the crop in light trucks right now [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img].</font color=purple>

TEX

http://sites.netscape.net/gumboracing

post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2001, 11:45 AM

No Dave, here's a tow vehicle!!! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

RocknCJ [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
A bad day wheelin'
will always beat a good day workin' [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-313615-SuperSuperDuty.jpg (68.7 KB, 0 views)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2001, 02:22 PM

now that truck is just wrong, how do you intend on driving it anywhere, or parking it...
funny thou

'74 CJ5/5.9L Holley 4bbl/3spd/31"/not running
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode