Styrefoam Peanuts and Antifreeze??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 01:57 PM
Robert87yj

Styrefoam Peanuts and Antifreeze???

I will have to buy a new 4.0 head to put on my 4.2 because of a mechanic that didn't do a very good job, and won't stand behind his work.

So...I was reading all of the new articles on the ORC's short wheelbase seciton and came across the one about adding a 4.0 head to a 4.2 block.

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/new/40conv.html

They used quicksteel and styrofoam peanuts to support the quicksteel as it cured. The article mentioned that the foam peanut will disolve.

Is that right? will antifreeze disolve the styrofoam peenut? It has been a while since I took any chemisty class and I can't seem to think through the chemical equation for my self[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]...otherwise I'd know for sure. I don't have any styrofoam peanuts around the house so I can't test it right now. Does anyone know if this is correct?

Thanks in advance.

Robert87yj[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
4.2 w/<font color=blue>(4.0 head & MPI)</font color=blue> (jeep is down need a new head)
Process of a moonguy after beer
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 02:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Styrefoam Peanuts and Antifreeze???

There are some packing peanuts out there that dissolve when exposed to water. They are not styrofoam though in a chemical sense. They look like styrofoam in a physical sense, but their chemical makeup is different. I belive that they are a derivitive of cornstarch where true styrofoam is a plastic. If anyone is planning this trick hold a couple under the sink first to be sure that they have the dissolving type because not all of them do.

'75 CJ5,258 w/Howell EFI,T18a,4.27's,33's,On-board air,Warn 8274
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 02:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Actually I believe that the antifreeze doesn't even come in contact with the peanuts. I believe that it is the heat that dissolves them. Actually melts them, not much styrofoam and lots of air in those things(air=low weight=happy shippers)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img].

Jason

<font color=green>----------------</font color=green>
<font color=green>[]llll[] '90 YJ, NV4500, XD9000i, 35" MT/R, Snorkle, 4.5" RE lift, Tera Revolvers, etc. etc.</font color=green>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 03:15 PM
Old Hand

I used the peanuts when doing my 4.0 head. They are in contact with the antifreeze. You push the peanut down into the exposed water jacket hole and epoxy above that. I haven't had any cooling problems at all. In fact, I am running very cool since I flushed the whole system at the time of the swap. If you want to do the experiment, make sure you heat the antifreeze up to operating temp.

I wouldn't give it a second thought since so many have gone that route with no related problems.

-raymo
Scrambler
258 4.0 Head/MPI,NV4500,D300,4.10's,HS9500
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 03:36 PM

i would use the starch ones. they look kinda like noodles with no holes in them. we used to lick one end and stick them to the boxes they came in. try holding them under water, they should dissolve completely quite quickly. you should be able to get them at any shipping place. they will probably just give them to ya when you say "i need 5 of them environmentally friendly foam peanut thingys please"! hope this helps! matt

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 10:10 PM

Robert-
Why don't you just use the newest trick on your old botch glued head...
get the triangle holes taper drilled for 3/4" freeze plugs.
Heck, the are just holes after all.

And if it will make it will make you feel any better ..
I had to console a guy who spent a small fortune to have his 258 rebuilt only to suffer continuous leaking of oil and anti-freeze out the head gasket on the distributor side.
He's had it into 3 more shops and still no fix.
I bet it's cracked ...

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2001, 07:29 AM

Jaffer, i have the same problem with a 258 in an 86 cj-7 that i bought from a buddy (his wife said jeeps were too dangerous, i gotta killer deal!). anyway, it leaks oil and coolant out of the dist. side between the block and the head. this engine was remanufactured and reinstalled, ran 3 months, found cracked head, replaced head with "new" one. ran 6 months, blew head gasket. runs good currently, leaks out one side. sometimes there is a puddle on oil on the ground, sometimes it antifreeze. i am not about to take this motor apart unless i know what to fix, especially with its history. i guees i'll just let it leak...if the guy you know gets his fixed, please let me know what they did to fix it. thanks! matt

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2001, 08:32 AM
Robert87yj

Hey guys,
Thanks for the replies.

My dad found a company through a the union at work that specializes in epoxies. He ordered some expensive stuff that has titanium in it. The guy he ordered it from said it is a high temp epoxy that will bond to the cast head. I'll drill out what I can and use the dremel to clean it up a bit, flush it out with some solvent and then try the new epoxy compound with the peanuts.

Then: if it still leaks I'll do the 3/4" freeze plug bit. Taking the head off has become a no thrill job. It only takes about 45 minutes. What really stinks is that I was ready to put in my new front axle disconnect system.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] No vacume no workie workie of the new axle disconnect system and no driving to test it out.

Robert87yj[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
4.2 w/<font color=blue>(4.0 head & MPI)</font color=blue> (jeep is down need a new head)
Process of a moonguy after beer
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2001, 11:03 AM
Old Hand

Robert,

When I told the machine shop what I was doing with the epoxy, they recommended chamfering the top edge of the water jacket holes with a die grinder or dremel. They said to do this so that the epoxy couldn't come loose and push itself into the water system. It only took about 15 minutes.

I epoxied mine before having the head milled flat. The end result was a perfectly smooth patch of epoxy that couldn't be pushed into the head. Just an idea for you.

-raymo
Scrambler
258 4.0 Head/MPI,NV4500,D300,4.10's,HS9500
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2001, 12:53 PM
Can't Get Enough

Maybe I am just lucky, but for the past 3 years, I have had a 4.0 head on my 4.2 with just a 4.2 head gasket. NO LEAKS! (Knock on wood) I don't have a lot of miles on it, but the hours are adding up (500+).

Enjoying Montana's Big Sky & Snow(Skiing that is)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode