Valve cover oil leak - another solution - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 12:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Valve cover oil leak - another solution

I have read all the posts on replacement valve covers and would gladly buy an alumninum cover but for the Cdn $ exchange bringing the price of a cover over $250 Cdn.

I have the plastic valve cover which is bolted down with three bolts on the distributor side, one bolt on each end and "nut washers" on top. The leakage of course is on the top side which isn't secured at all. I've already tried to reseal twice with no success.

I note that there were three studs running parallel to the top of the valve cover. I made three templates of a "pressure plate" which will cover portions of the valve cover edge. I drilled holes through the plates to fit the stud. Once I find the right sized nut/washer, I plan to bolt down to the studs.

Am I wasting my time? Any thoughts appreciated. In any event, will post again as to whether this cheap fix works.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 02:25 PM

Re: Valve cover oil leak - another solution

If you mean the studs that run along the intake and exhaust side, yes, it will help. I have a couple of pieces that look like washers that fit on those bolts. They were on a CJ-5 engine was donated to me during the rebuild of CJ-7 engine.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 07:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I wouldn't pay that much for a cover either but have you tried any auto wreckers yet? If you sweet talk or whine to alot of them you can get some good deals. I think they like the entertainment.

'88 Sahara, 4.2, auto.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 09:16 PM

I've said it before, but I got my alum. valvecover off an 88 eagle w/ a 258.
It cam from a junkyard, was cheap (like me[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]) and doesn't leak a drop.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Lead , follow , or WINCH ME OUT!!!!
http://home1.gte.net/rythem/davescj7.htm
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 10:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have already tried a number of junkyards in the area with no success. Thanks for the suggestion.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2001, 12:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Bolted down the plate washers to the three studs. Works great! No leaks from those areas of the valve cover.

However, there is still a large span between the middle stud and the one at the back of the block. Oil still leaks in that area. I'm thinking a special washer plate that extends from one stud to the other will work.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode