Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   Water Leak 2000 Wrangler (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/53949-water-leak-2000-wrangler.html)

wml52 01-22-2001 10:20 AM

Water Leak 2000 Wrangler

I have a 2000 Wrangler that develops a severe leak from under the dash by the passanger side foot area during a heavy rain and only at highway speeds. It also leaks in the right rear area behind the back seat storage area. I would be interested in knowing if there is a cause and fix as I have back to the dealer 3 times with no luck. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks to all.

Bill

**DONOTDELETE** 01-22-2001 12:53 PM

Re: Water Leak 2000 Wrangler

As far as the back seat storage area is concerned I would look at how the top is fitting. This is the only area that could leak. Maybe get a seal kit, or loosen the catches on the back and move the top around to see if it will seal better. Or do you have a soft top, if so then you will probably have to deal with it. No soft top completly seals.

The '97 TJ's are notorious for leaks under the dash. Something about the hood cowl having an overflow in the wrong place. There was a recall about this, I think. You might want to check on that. Another possibility would be the cowl seal(the one up under the windshield). Some of the older Jeeps have had them wear out in a year or so. The other possibility would be the AC(if you have it). I know that mine will drip water in the passenger floorboard(YJ) during high humidity times.

I feel your pain. My YJ leaks bad. Sucks to have it turn cold after it rains. I get about 1" of ice in the floorboard then.

If you can't get the leak fixed then look into pulling the carpet and getting the interior lined with a bedliner(durabak, herculiner, or Rhino). Mine is herc. and is great.

Jason

<font color=green>----------------</font color=green>
<font color=green>[]llll[] '90 YJ, NV4500, XD9000i, 35" MT/R, Snorkle, 4.5" RE lift, Tera Revolvers, etc. etc.</font color=green>

**DONOTDELETE** 01-22-2001 01:46 PM

I have heard that the front leak is very common on TJ's. I believe it had something to do with the antena mount on the passanger fender having a bad seal. Hope this helps. It was from a letter writen in to Petersons 4wheel and Off Road magazine.

'88 Sahara, 4.2, auto.

elusive 01-22-2001 03:40 PM

my 2000 tj did leak, but it seems to have stopped.. the leak was the same with the hard top or soft top. i asked the dealer to look at it, but they couldnt make it leak.. same thing too.. only at highway speeds in heavy rain

~~Elusive~~
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]tj-7..tellico tested, uwharrie [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]safaried..1 ton drivetrain[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
oh yeah, and a 2000 tj,lift..etc

Pete88YJ 01-22-2001 04:18 PM

To repeat the words of the always-respected Jeepskate[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] that stuck in my mind from years back on this same BBS:

"You have purchased a vehicle where everything either A) comes off, or B) folds down. You have to expect it's going to leak."

It's just not a Honda Civic, man... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] Good luck
Pete [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

88 YJ-retiring to trails soon
79 4WD F250-hauler/tower of my toys [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
70 Jaguar E-type - the best car England ever made. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
??? pavement-pounder for work/school - opinions wanted.