Who is running a fuel cell in thier Jeep? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 07:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Who is running a fuel cell in thier Jeep?

I am looking at replacing my stock 20 gallon tank with a 12 gallon fuel cell.
Has anyone done this? I am looking for mounting ideas. Thanks, Robert[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Common sense is genius dressed in working clothes.
http://www.austinjeeper.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 10:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Who is running a fuel cell in thier Jeep?

Come AWN! I know some of you guy's are running these! What brand? What type? How do you have it mounted? In the truck, below the truck, what sending unit are you using! ARH! I have so many questions and no answers! HELP A POOR LOST SOUL WANDERING THE STREETS OF LOSTVILLE![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 10:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

It's a basic bolt-on. The cells are designed to be installed inside the truck. Most cell manufacturers make nylon or steel straps to mount their cells to the floor.

Get a cell with foam inserts for safety. The foam doesn't really reduce the fuel capacity that much, maybe 3% or so.

As for the fuel sending unit there are sending units designed to fit in these sells. Check SummitRacing.com. I one used an old external Mazda unit and it worked fine.

Get a roll over valve and install it in the vent opening. Some people plump the fuel delivery in a loop for safety but I never tried that myself.

PS: If I were you I'd just get a replacment fuel tank. I cherish the space inside my Jeep.

Hope this helps

A.B.

If you didn't get stuck, you didn't wheel hard enough...[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 11:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The ones from Summit are using a rear mounted 2 in. sump. (Drag car application) Is this OK? The reason for the move is that I am sliding the rear axle back a few inches and the pig will come in contact with the factory fuel tank. I have also heard the foam in the cell will break down over a period of time, any truth to this. Thank you for reminding me of the roll over valve, completely slipped my mind![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 05:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I think the sump would work better than one without one because there will always be fuel in it at almost any angle.

gotta do hella work to these boys
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2001, 05:20 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I only used the regular MCI cell so I don't know about the ones with the 2" sump. Although muddycj7 is right about fuel being delivered at almost angle I don't think that's really an issue since we're not racing here. Remember most trail vehicles, no matter how modified they are, have the stock flat bottoms OEM tank and it works fine. The cells with the sump are designed to hold the minimum amount of fuel (less weight) and make sure it's delivered (hence the sump).

I never used a cell long enough to see if the foam breaks down or what. However I would still use it and change it every year or two since it's much safer to have it in there.

A.B.

If you didn't get stuck, you didn't wheel hard enough...[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2001, 07:18 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]Thanks guy's I am going with a 12 gallon cell from Sumittracing. I will post some pics when I am finished or when I blow myself up!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode