Off Topic- looking for daily driver/tow vehichle - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Off Topic- looking for daily driver/tow vehichle

I'm looking for something reliable to drive around town in comfortable style that can pull a 6500# load and still get good mileage.

Obviously it would be nice if it had 4-wheel-drive, if only for the low-range option. Seating for four would be nice too, along with some cargo space.

Is there any way a Grand Cherokee with the 318 could do this? I have Grand-Wagoneer D44 axles and some 4.10 gears I could put under it to help things out. Or do you think I would be better off buying a Ford Diesel truck?
I'm looking to spend around 10K and have found each of these vehichles in my area in that price range (well, the Ford isn't 4x4, but it is a crew-cab dually)
vs

'Gator Chaser
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 07:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Off Topic- looking for daily driver/tow vehichle

I can tell you this a GC is just not a good tow vehicle. I have a 96 GC that I do use to tow my 83 CJ7 when I have too. I would not want to pull it very far or at a high rate of speed. The 318 has the power to pull it, but the brakes are lacking. I do not have trailer brakes and yes this would make stopping a lot better. If you are planning to haul your jeep very much I would buy the truck. You will enjoy pulling your jeep.

This is just my opion and if you deside on the GC make sure you have trailer brakes.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 05:58 AM
sas87yj

go with the truck. if you are going to tow the boat you are going to have some serious tongue weight? i would go with a minimum of a 3/4 ton tow vehicle. i personally don't like diesels (stinky,smoking habit!) and would get a big block 3/4 ton single axel truck w/ 4wd. never owned a dodge but i like their body style. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] have fun shopping and take your time![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

My boat trailer has hydraulic brakes, and the flat-bed trailer I put the Jeep on has electric brakes (strong enough to lock them up with the Jeep on it!)

I wont even consider a gas truck for serious hauling. The mileage just isn't there and neither is the low-end grunt. I hauled the boat cross-state with an '86 F-250 with a tired 7.3L diesel (no super or turbo charger) and it cruised along at 70MPH without complaint. I filled the truck up (both tanks) before leaving New Smyrna and didn't have to refuel once on the way back to Bradenton.

The tongue weight is less than 700#s. Three or four guys can pick up the tounge.

'Gator Chaser
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 03:11 PM
TEX

<font color=purple>Definitely at LEAST a full-size 1/2 ton - preferably 3/4 ton. Skip the GC. You won't be happy (or safe) with it as a tow vehicle. That particular crew-cab dually may be overkill, but it will certainly do the job. You might want to search for something just a bit smaller though as that would be kind of obnoxious as a daily driver (with the diesel though, it should do as well for fuel mileage as a 318 GC).</font color=purple>

TEX

http://sites.netscape.net/gumboracing

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 03:58 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Just a question. Where are you getting 10K for a tow vehicle?!?!?!!!! HOOK ME UP! I need a tow vehicle and a car!!!!

"James and the Giant Jeep"
1993 Wrangler 4.0/5spd, Herculined Interior
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 04:13 PM

we have a 99 xj and tow a pretty heavy boyscout trailer loaded to the top, with 5 people in the jeep and the back filled with crap, it will do 70 alright, just don't slam on the breaks. I bet some upgrades in the breaks would really help. An xj would work though a full size truck would be much better, I personally like the fords and chevys much better because they have a good live axle 4wheel drive system and their desils are very well liked. Also a 4wd tow rig is a good idea because some times the roads leading to praking lots and places like that can be as bad as the wheeling, atleast that's what I've seen some places in the midwest.
Barrelroll

'95 YJ Totaled!
Now All I have is an insurance Claim

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 04:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Go with the crew cab! I have one just like the one in the picture with a PowerStroke and I love the thing. I use it as a daily driver and to tow my overhead camper and the trailer with the jeep. It gets good milage and awsome power plus enough room to accomidate the whole family on a long trip.
Actually I am selling my 95 PowerStroke and going to buy a newer one (99 or 2000 model).

post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 05:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Pickup:
+Diesel power
+Same/better mileage
+Less Maintenance
+More spring/brake
+Usable bed space
+Room for 5-6
+More stability
+More resale value retention
-parking and manueverability

GC
+4wd
-bad brakes/spring/power

Hmmm...seems pretty simple to me.

Moneyless, Will weld for jeep accessories.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2001, 06:41 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I've been doing the daily driver truck thing for a while now, while I search for a suitable pavement-pounder, and I'll tell you, that one minus that farm jeep gave the truck - it's a huge fact, man. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] I've got a 79 F250, 4WD, standard cab, with a cap on it, and it's a great tow vehicle.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] The granny-low first gear on the NP435 is awesome when getting moving from a stop with the Jeep or the Jag on the trailer. However, it's when you have to go interact with today's micro-car society, like going to the mall, or grocery shopping, or anywhere, it's a huuuuge PITA. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] The thing just doesn't fit anywhere. I could never see myself driving one of those extended cab duallys anywhere. My truck is lousy on gas too. It's comfortable on the highway, and it's a blast to drive, but... You can say "Yeah, but I can just deal with it, that's all." I guess if you live in a place where everything is wide-open then you'd be fine. A "daily driver" means different things to different people - I have to get into tight spots at work, and at school, and manuever through tight city streets, and the snow and the cars parked on the side of the streets makes it almost impossible to drive that thing. If "Daily driver" to you is going from the farmhouse to the north 40 [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img], then great, but if you have to interact with the world at all, it can be a PITA. I recommend a great tow vehicle, and a ???? for a daily driver. I'm currently searching for a good pavement-pounder now.

Just my $0.02
Good luck
Pete [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

88 YJ-retiring to trails soon
79 4WD F250-hauler/tower of my toys [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
70 Jaguar E-type - the best car England ever made. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
??? pavement-pounder for work/school - opinions wanted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode