Rattle Can 101 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 02:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Rattle Can 101

I've always noticed that on spray paint cans it says use between 60-70 degrees or around room temperature. I've always tried to abide by this but sometimes it just can't happen. What is the reason for a temperature range and what happens if you paint too cold or too hot?

K-16
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 05:19 PM

Re: Rattle Can 101

Who knows..I painted the cj white about two weeks ago in 30 degrees temp..it came out alright I guess

Short Wheelbase Message Board Members Pictures!http://www.geocities.com/swbjeep
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 05:49 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Well, i noticed that when you paint in 70 degree weather, the paint blends together nicely. If you paint when it's too cold, you will get alot of holes in the paint. This is just what I observed

Keith

ITS GOOD ENOUGH [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 06:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

when they mix the paint at the factory, they add a reducer to the paint to thin it out. Usually, this reducer is helps the paint cure at a specific temperature. They use a mid range reducer for obvius purposes. The slower a paint dries, the more glossy it will be. The faster the paint dries, the less glossy it is. if the paint dries to fast, it doesn't have sufficient time to smooth out. The temperature the paint dries at has a lot to do with it's durability and sheen. That's why professional shops choose a reducer dependent upon the temperature of the spray booth and how they want the paint to look. I Rattle can stuff quite a bit in cold weather, since I don't like painting in a closed space, but I make sure the can is at room temperature, and I usually heat whatever it is I'm painting to about a 100-120 degrees F with a torch (before I actually paint of course, not While i'm actually painting.). This usually works pretty well for me. I hate rattle can paint anyways, the stuff is NEVER very durable.

Tom

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 07:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I think it may also have alittle to do with the aerosol within the can? Like the pressure will not be so great? Someone told me the reason like a year ago.. it has something to do with the gas..

<font color=blue> Muddynut </font color=blue>
<font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] 78 CJ7 "Issues" </font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode