Join Date: Feb 2000
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Electrical Guru\'s Please read.
The old generators are essentially series wound DC motors. If you spin one and ground the field (the little terminal) it will generate a DC voltage. As you increase the voltage to the field, the generator output will decrease
By the same token, if you apply 12 Volts to the armature (the big terminal) with some voltage applied to the field you end up with a big ugly electric motor. You can control the motor speed by varying the voltage on the field.
Now if you look at your wiring you will notice that the big wire from the generator connects to the regulator instead of the battery. One of the functions of the regulator is to shut off the electricity to the generator so it doesn't motor.
So, based on the problem you describe, I would say that your regulator went T.U.
You can probably fix the problem by:
1. Replace the regulator if they're still available
2. Pop the cover on the regulator, clean the points and make sure there are no burned or melted wires inside. You may get lucky.
3. Put a switch in the generator output wire.
4. Tighten the V-belt. It may put enough load on the generator to stop it.
5. Junk the generator and get an alternator setup from a 68 or later.
By the way, a generator is usually grounded through the mounting brackets. If it motors, it's probably got a good ground.