Need info on Rebuilding a 360 engine!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 11:49 AM
Frank360

Need info on Rebuilding a 360 engine!!!

My '79 360 is knocking, I have been told it sounded like the lifters. I have been told that if you open an engine, you might as well rebuilt it all, because mixing new parts with old parts does not jive really well.. I've been dreaming of rebuilding an engine by myself, but I am not a mechanic and I have to hog my fathers garage now and then... My questions are, should I do a total rebuild, how complicated is it and what do I need as tools and equipment, and would it be overall cheaper than buying a drop-in... Should I bother with performance parts, or just keep the thing stock.. I have a spare engine that I could either use to pratice on, or take it as the rebuiding one until it's ready to swap in... Are there any detailed books on the subject, considering I have the haynes for my yj and the wagoneer(which engine came from)... I really like to learn, but I'm scared of jumping in the hardcore world of engines, well cause I'm not rich and I don't want to [censored] it up more than it is now... Thank you all in advance for you most valuable time and help..

A Jeep is a Jeep..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 12:00 PM

Re: Need info on Rebuilding a 360 engine!!!

fist of all, does the engine actually need a rebuild?

is the oil pressure good? does it have good compression?
if these 2 things are acceptable there is no need to tear it down, unless you just want to.

I suggest finding out for sure what the knock is, you can replace the cam and lifters without building the rest of the engine if the rest is in good shape.

when does it knock? hot/cold? still make good power?

a rebuild will cost you over $1000 if you do alot of the work

<break it down>
$429 master engine kit
estimated $500 in machine shop work.
tools to install and remove engine ( hoist jacks if you own its moot, if you have to rent ad $50)

you can buy a rebuilt longblock for about $1500 ( I think Ive not cheked in a while)
then just drop it in at your leasure and have a day or two of total down time.

go ahead and figure on a new clutch/flywheel surface job/ starter/water pump, plugs wires/oil, antifreeze, all these things youll need whethere you rebuild your engine or buy a long block.

a few dollars worth of paint to make it look rebuilt ( haha)

so you see it wont be cheap, thats why you need to make sure it really needs to be rebuilt FIRST.

maybe this info helps, if not sorry!
let me know if you need any advice/been there done that stories!

OzarkJeep

"If thats the way that you want it, well thats the way I want it more..."
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 12:09 PM
Frank360

Good idea.. I will have the compression and oil pressure checked.. I don't trust my oil pressure gauge, when I start the jeep its way up, and when hot at idle its almost at 0.. And it knock all the time hot or cold, its a tickin sound..This is the kind of input I need.. it points me in the right direction, thanks

A Jeep is a Jeep..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 12:10 PM

i'm in the process of taking apart my 360 for a extended rebuild. I've made a decent amount of progress, that is taking it apart. I've got a copy of the PAW cataloge, if you want some prices just let me know, that thing has everything you could possibly need.
Between rebuilding it yourself and buying a drop in. My brother just got a drop in for his camaro, it's leaking some oil, and he paid a lot for it ($1700 for a chevy 305) don't ask why on that, just a reference.
I can't really advise you on how hard this will be, I've never done one before, and I've got a lot of time on my hands, but if you need any references for prices or basic questions on the engine, I can answer that.

'74 CJ5/5.9L Holley 4bbl/3spd/31"/not running
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 12:19 PM
Frank360

Another thing is, I live in New Brunswick, Canada (atlantic coast)... So everytime I look at prices in a magazine, I have to double it to estimate the real price... You talk of PAW, is that a part company that you can order from ?

A Jeep is a Jeep..
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 12:22 PM

yeah, Performance Automotive Warehouse
1-818-678-3000
www.pawengineparts.com
they've got everything from rebuild kits, to screw/nut/bolt kits, heads and lifters and just about anything and everything that goes into your engine. You can order the cataloge for about $5, maybe more since your in CA, but if you want I can copy some of the info out of it for you.

'74 CJ5/5.9L Holley 4bbl/3spd/31"/not running
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 12:35 PM
Frank360

Why I want to do it all myself would be to save money, but mostly for my conscience... My jeep is my therapist, my drug, my best friend, my ego, my bodybuilding parter, it's what I dream about all day and all night, I hear it's engine all the time, it's what I use to impress myself and others, it's an extension of my identity, an organ, I use it to get laid... I'm thankful I'm not only getting some when it's working ... So I wanna learn everything about it, so I know how it works, to be able to do quick fixes on the trail for example..

A Jeep is a Jeep..
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 12:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If it turns out that your oil pressure is low (sounds like it is), the oil pump housing may be out of tolerance. You can rebuild the oil pump and get a few more miles out of it if you have good compression. Just something else to think about. OH and a long block from Autozone was $1200 (not sure about Canadian price) last year at this time.

K-16
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 01:47 PM

How much does P.A.W. list an AMC 360 master kit for?
Ive never seen one cheaper than Northernautoparts.com
they are $429 they went up a month or so ago they had been $389 for a long time.
all bearings,gaskets,rings,oversized pistons timing chain,cam and lifters,oil pump,frost plugs
its a pretty complete kit, and good quality stuff, not race bound, but not bottom dollar either.

OzarkJeep

"If thats the way that you want it, well thats the way I want it more..."
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 01:54 PM
Frank360

Why is my 79 360 not listed at autoparts, they stop at 78 ?

A Jeep is a Jeep..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode