Make it a project or scrap it? opinions needed!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

Make it a project or scrap it? opinions needed!!

Hi!! I have an 86 cj7 that is in bad need of repairs, even though it is still drivable and runs decent. here is the current status: the inside floor panels, front and back are rusted out in several places, some pretty goodsize holes. the frame is rusty and has one small rust through spot that I can see. the transmission was rebuilt about 8,ooomiles ago. the 4 wheel drive works great!! I also have the dana 44 rear. I am just curious about what point I should decide to scrap it(part out) or make it a project? The engine (258) goes through oil like crazy, so a rebuild there is needed, also. I have never undertaken a project this big. the only mechanic type stuff I have done is replace major parts like trannies, engines, etc. and basic maint. The only tools I have are basic hand tools. I have never done any welding. If I figured right,I should have about $3,000 in the next 2 years to work on it. Here is what I would like to do: wrangler tub swap, used frame, have the engine rebuilt.
I also would like to get new 33" tires (currently 31's) but I would probably have to make a gear swap(I am not sure of my ratios..dana 44, auto trans), and I know that is money I could spend on the other things the jeep actually needs. plus the lift needed to clear 33's is more money(the jeep is currently at stock height). On the dream list is a fuel injected 5.0 ford motor with an adapter for my tranny. What do you guys think? I am open to any opinions and suggestions, so let me have it, good or bad!!! thanks for the input, Ben
The jeep see mostly street use, and when I wheel, it is mud and snow.

86 CJ7 258, weber carb, rusty but trusty!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 08:39 AM
sas87yj

Re: Make it a project or scrap it? opinions needed!!

one option would be sell it and add that $ to the $3000 for an up-grade jeep with no rust![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]maybe ask $2500 for the jeep you have now?

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 08:53 AM

the only thing I can see that you have to work with is the rear axle, and of course the transfercase/tranny if you like the auto.

It might be easier to start with a good frame, or engine that works.

it really just depends on if you can swing the downtime, and the cashola to keep the project going.

it will take more than $3000 to fix this one I think, much more to ad the 5.0 and tires/lift.

could you get out of it now without taking a beating?
if so maybe that money would be better spent on a rig that has more than a tranny/axle going for it.

if seen people start with less though!
its all up to you man!

OzarkJeep

"If thats the way that you want it, well thats the way I want it more..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 10:08 AM

Don't build up that one! A sure fire recipe for pain.
Sell it to some kid just needs some cheap transportation and get yourself somethng with a good frame and body. The rest doesn't matter so much but start with at least that!
Once you have a good, solid frame and a decently straight and a body with as little rust as possible the rest is bolt on.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 10:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I personally think that you have a good start to a project. Sure it's a little rough (ok...a lot of rough) around the edges, but you have a Dana 44 and an auto and a 300 t-case (right?) you have the best of all the worlds...sounds like a rockcrawler to me. I will give you $1000 and I will pick it up.

Dont sweat the petty stuff and dont pet the sweaty stuff
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 11:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

To me the only thing that sounds REAL bad is the frame. I started with similiar rust on the body but a solid frame, no skills, and few tools. It would definitely be a lot of headaches. If you want to do more driving than working at first, sell that thing and add it to the $3000.

K-16
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 11:26 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I would look into selling the one you have now and finding one in better shape. You will have way more then 3000 into it when you are done. The other option you have is buying another and making one out of the two. If you want to do an engine swap this would be the time. Why put the money into the 6 if you just plan on taking it out anyway.

80 cj7, 304, auto, 33" tsl swampers, 4" softride superlift, warn bellvue winch, custom front winch bumper
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 11:57 AM
Keyboard Implanted

i agree.. get rid of it.. you mentioned getting a new frame.. well the only frame worth building on is a yj frame, and it will be too wide for the d-44 rear axle you have. buy a cheapie yj, and build it..witht the $$$$ you get from the cj and the $$ you have thought to go into the jeep.. you could even think about a tj

~~Elusive~~
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]tj-7..tellico tested, uwharrie [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]safaried..1 ton drivetrain[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
oh yeah, and a 2000 tj,lift..etc
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the thoughts!! it will be about 6 months before I do anything seious one way or the other, just trying to get some other ideas from people who have been there, done that. I am kind of leaning towards replacement, but I live in Illinois(rustbelt) and will be hard to find something not rusty...I would prefer a cj7, but still considering my options. not many jeeps local for sale. people tend to keep the good ones. I would consider swapping my parts onto a better frame and body. I understand I would probably have to go west or somewhere to find one, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

86 CJ7 258, weber carb, rusty but trusty!!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 09:22 PM

Oh man I would love to tell you to keep it. After all it is a 86 w/ d44! i live in st. louis so we get A LOT of salt here too. Over the summer i bought a 78 cj-7. I didn't really have any mechanical experiance and no tools. But i figured i would learn and fix it over a period of time. The body was beyond rusty. It did have a rebuilt drive train (or so i thought) and a pretty strong frame. Here is what i learned: You can spend your money ( and lots of it ) or you can spend your time ( tons of that ). If spending your time on this makes you happy then... You will also need to get the tools. And this can get very expensive. But then again if you really love this stuff then you will use them again. What ever you don't expect that you will be able to continue to drive it for at least 1-1.5 years.

For 3000 you will be hard pressed to buy TOOLS and PARTS. You will need tools (300-???), a frame (used about 300-400), tub (600-700), wheels and lift (1000??), plus a million other little parts that you will either break, loss, or be too bad to put back on. That being said it can be done.

For me personally i spent too much money on labor and not enough on tools and parts. And i expected to be able to drive it while doing all this. My engine then blew up and i had to sell it lossing alot of money.

I guess this probally raises more questions than it answers. I hope it help thought. If i had to do it all over again I would take a trip to see freinds or a vacation in texas or arizona and while i am there look for a jeep and drive it back. I am already saving money for the trip and my next jeep. Good luck!

Sold the CJ... Cant wait for the next time around!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode