Alternator/Charging problems? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2001, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

Alternator/Charging problems?

OK, heres the thing, my altornator on my Yj has always been screwy. It would charge normal somtimes 14, and then it would go to 8. Finnaly it got so bad that it would run the engine but wouldn't charge the battery. I tested it and on the charging cycle it would only put out 11 volts. So I got a reman one with a one year warrenty. The only thing is that it is a 78 amp and my old one was a 66. Now it charges better but it still charges funny. At idle it will charge 14 then drop to 8 with nothing turned on, then got to 14 then back to 8 and when you turn on the high draw devices(defroster, lights, fan) it goes to 8 and stays there unless you give it gas. Tomorrow I am goign to run a mess of grounds to everything and see if that helps. The belt is tight and is new. MY question is how many wires go to the alternator. Theres a red that goes to the bat termanal and a red and a brown that go to a plug in turminal on the side. There is also a orange ond a green that come out of the same wire loom. Somebody choped these off and I have no clue where they go, They must go to the alternator but there's no place left to plug them in. In my manual it shows two reds and a brown going to the alt so I am clueless about the others. Maybe that is my problem. Thanks

I need to get a girlfriend I'm getting to close to my jeep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Re: Alternator/Charging problems?

Well its not a bad ground, I ran a seperate wire from the battery neg to the alteranator and it didn't help. All my fuseable links look good, they aren't burn. I going to start metering out wires. If anybody has any ideas I would be thankful.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 01:07 AM Thread Starter

Re: Alternator/Charging problems?

Sorry repost. I cleaned all the wires were they bolt on at the starter relay, cleaned all the grounds off and metered the fusable links and everything seems good. Can a link go kind of bad cause I checked it with my meter at It had continuity and was reading a resistence of one ohm.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode