Axle Swap - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2001, 10:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Axle Swap

I have a 91 Wrangler with stock axles. I would like to put Dana 44's on it. Does anyone know how hard it would be to use axles from a mid 70s Cherokee? What are the differences between the axles that were used on them compared and the YJ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2001, 10:28 PM

Re: Axle Swap

front diff is on the wrong side, the rear is probably offset, and they are probably too wide.

you need axles form a wagoneer 1980 or newer.

OzarkJeep

"If thats the way that you want it, well thats the way I want it more..."
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 10:26 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

He's right. Been in same position as you, and after researching it through the web came to the conclusion that for D44s into a YJ you can't beat 86+ wagoneers. 80 - 86 wagoneers had AMC20 rear, some think it's better, some don't. Anyway, go to tech pages of my site for more details.

http://www.chadlloyd.rockcrawler.com/Jeep.html

Chad

Chad Lloyd 95 YJ 4.0 NP435 EBD20 woodies D44s 4.88 detroits SOA revolvers 35 X 15.5 SXs 8274
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 12:51 PM

Definately '86 or newer Grand Wagoneer axles. Anything earlier and you will end up with some vacuum junk on the front axle and possibly an AMC 20 rear axle (which aint really a bad thing ya know...) You'll have to grind into the driver's side spring perch a .5" and move the passenger side spring perch in a .5" as well.
Get the G-Wagon's steering and pitman arm as well. The steering is 100% stronger than the YJs setup, and the tie-rod is on top of the knuckles which will reduce bumpsteer- the pitman arm is longer than your stock YJ arm so you won't lose much turning radius.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 01:30 PM

Another possibility is going with an early bronco set of axles 9 inch rear Dana 44 front drivers side drop.You will have to knock off the radius arm mounting brackets and weld on new spring perches and shock mounts.I think most axles had either 3.54s or 4.10s for gears.I don't think you would have to narrow anything.I think there is an article on the off-road jeep web that shows how.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 02:46 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Not all pre '86 Wagoneer's had the vacuum crap. I found quite a few that didn't have it. Check around. And as for the HD AMC 20, it's a good rear axle. It's a lot stronger than the CJ AMC 20.

"James and the Giant Jeep"
1993 Wrangler 4.0/5spd, Herculined Interior
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 03:17 PM

Jamgood's right about not all pre-86s having the vacuum crap on the front. But the guys at the junkyard rarely know which truck used "select-trac" (which used the vaccum crap) and which didn't. ALL post-85 trucks have a 'normal' front axle.

Now, dont quote me on this, but if you find a 80-85 G-Wagon that has the "Command-Trac" emblem on it instead of "Select-Trac", you should get a 'normal' front axle (and possibly an AMC 20 rear axle)

http://www.geocities.com/southbaymisfit/images/duelersfront.jpg
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 04:40 PM

Look on the Jeep web under tech articles,axles and you will find several articles on swapping 44s into YJs.Lots of info on swaps.
Frank

post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 06:34 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

It's probably going to be best just to either crawl underneath and look at the pumpkin in front, or pop the hood and try to look at the pumpkin from above. I actually favor the second method. It's pretty obvious which ones have the vacuum crap and which ones don't. I'm also pretty sure than anything pre '86 had the AMC 20. I don't believe any had a 44 until '86 or newer. There are some good deals out there. Just look. Also, don't rule out buying one accross country because shipping isn't too bad. Just make sure you find a fellow Jeeper where ever to take a look at it. I got my match set from an '87 for $300.

"James and the Giant Jeep"
1993 Wrangler 4.0/5spd, Herculined Interior
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 08:13 AM

There was an '84 G-Wagon with a D44 rear sitting next to the '86 G-Wagon I got my axles from. I've seen a lot of Cherokees with a pair of D44 axles as well. Strange, I guess, but there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of FSJs with rear AMC 20s in my area [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

'Gator Chaser
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode