had a moser shaft slide out - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2001, 09:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

had a moser shaft slide out

ok my buddy just put moser shafts in his cj. and on slit out on him and messed up he bearings. he said he have the bering pressed on and the press ring on the right way. andy one ever heard of putting a tack weld behind the press ring so the shaft wont slide out?

80 cj7 304, WC t-5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2001, 09:50 PM

Re: had a moser shaft slide out

Oh yea. Everyone I know puts 4 tack welds on them.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
It's a been there, done that kinda thing.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Lead , follow , or WINCH ME OUT!!!!
http://home1.gte.net/rythem/davescj7.htm
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2001, 11:34 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] About 100 years before you were born we had a race car that used a then-VERY-late-model '57 Chevy rear end and you could slide one of those axles out without even half trying. I tack welded those press rings, and at the same time replaced the dimpy Chevy lug bolts with hefty 3/4 Ton Ford pickup lugs. We were the envy of all the other racers.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 02:08 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

if you tack weld the press rings on how would you ever change your bearings. if they were to ever go bad. grind the tack welds off with a dremel or something?

80 cj7 304, WC t-5
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 07:07 AM
Keyboard Implanted

i dont think you should... like jeepn was saying to me about steering components, heat makes the metal more britle.. especially welding...welding to an axleshaft isn't a good idea.. especially right where the axle is going to see the most sress put on it. however, i have never seen anyone break a moser shaft, so you'd probably be fine. does your friend have the older GREEN bearings or the newer timken bearings?? i believe this would be less likely to happen with the less-desireable green bearing because of their design...

~~Elusive~~
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]tj-7..tellico tested, uwharrie [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]safaried..1 ton drivetrain[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
oh yeah, and a 2000 tj,lift..etc
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 08:39 AM

Yes you will have to carefully grind them.
As elusive said about the heat, you only want small tack welds. This way you dont build up enough heat to cause problems.
BTW moser would never endorse doing this BUT, my moser dealer(and a friend) recommended doing this because it's a common problem(he even said it).

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 08:45 AM
Keyboard Implanted

So where exactly do the welds go? I have Mosers and I noticed that when I installed them that my brake backing plate that it is the only thing holding them in. Is this correct?

Thanks,

http://home.off-road.com/~tom85cj7/home.htm
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 11:00 AM

I would think if they needed to be welded someone like the manufacturer would have mentioned it, or been subject to numerous law suits.I have never seen it mentioned on this board that they should be welded ,even as a precaution .
Wouldn't it be just as easy to hit it with a center punch and raise a burr behind the press ring to keep it in place ?

Ray
Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it
why does everyone ask if I am gonna paint it ?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 11:24 AM

Unhumen, thats a great answer. Thats because I said the exact same thing on my friends, Put some nice peen/punch marks on it and was good to go.
Lasted about 2 days of wheelin.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
Thats when we went back to the dealer AND HE TOLD US TO TACK THEM.
He was also the one who pressed the retainer on. I had done this before on 9" fords but I didnt figure we would need to do it on all new stuff.
He said that it was common. he had done several amc 20's before .
Just my .02.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 12:48 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] What little you need to weld will not affect the strength to any great extent. We put tremendous strain our our stuff racing on asphalt banked oval tracks, and the only problem we ever had was sucking the dimpy Chevrolet lug nuts right through the holes in the wheels from the extreme side thrust in the corners. Hence the Large Ford pickup lug bolt adaption. We welded those too.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] If we lost a bearing we discarded the axle since we had a wrecking yard as a sponsor[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] and parts were plentiful. HOWEVER, you could grind out the weld real easy if need be. YES....the backing plate holds the bearing....the press ring thrusts against the inner race....and the interference fit of the press ring is SUPPOSED to hold the shaft from sliding out. The key word is "supposed".[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode