What gear ratios on 80cj7 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2001, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

What gear ratios on 80cj7

I have been trying to read the front tag and the stamp on the rear for about a month now. I just cant see either one of them. I have the list to tell you what it is if you can read it. I am going to do the spin the tire test but in the mean time what gears did they use on the 80 with a 304 and an auto. I havent been able to find anything that says this is what they used per year.

80 cj7, 304, auto, 33" tsl swampers, 4" softride superlift, warn bellvue winch, custom front winch bumper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2001, 11:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: What gear ratios on 80cj7

It's almost impossible to say without taking off the cover and either reading the info off the ring gear, or doing a little simple division to figure out what gears are in there. You never know when the previous owner might have swapped in some different gears for whatever reason. You have the Dana30/AMC20 combo, right?? It's been said that the breakdown of what gears came in what axles is this: From '76-'79 they used 3.54 gears, and from '80-'86, they went with a 2.73 gear ratio. So, depending on if you got a early or late model 1980 Jeep with leftover parts or not, those two ratios would be my guess as to what you're sporting inside those differentials.

Do yourself a favor when you've got some spare time, and remove both covers and drain the fluid. That way, you can for sure identify the gears, and at the same time, clean out the diffs. and give them some new fluid to enjoy for many years to come!

--Digger--

http://www.users.qwest.net/~ascanlon
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Re: What gear ratios on 80cj7

i know for a fact that the previous owner did nothing to it except let it sit behind his house. I talked to the first owner and he gave me ever bill from what he did to the jeep. Which was nothing more then services. It was great getting a bone stock cj that nobody has ever touched.

You had to say take the diff covers off. I just took them off about a month ago and 30 seconds after putting them back on i kicked myself because i forget to count the teeth. Thanks for the info though. I just cant believe they would use 2.73's with a v-8 but it is an amc though.

80 cj7, 304, auto, 33" tsl swampers, 4" softride superlift, warn bellvue winch, custom front winch bumper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode