NP 435 swap ?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2001, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

NP 435 swap ??

I am finally doing my NP435 swap and was wondering ,It looks like there are HELICOIL inserts where the old trans(SR-4) was bolted up to the bellhousing. Anyone have any Idea if this was standard practice and should I do the same,or just drill and tap new holes ?
If anyone has done this swap I would appreciate any info you would care to share.
Also it looks like my 1980 tub had been Galvanized ,cause I took the hood off,to suspend the motor,during the swap.Anyone have any Idea when jeep began galvanizing bodies ?

T.I.A.

Ray
Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it
why does everyone ask if I am gonna paint it ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2001, 09:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: NP 435 swap ??

I'm in the middle of swapping a 435 with bronco d20 into my YJ ..... sounds like you're going into a CJ? what engine etc?

basically, the swap info I have for a YJ 4.0:

need an np435, preferably out of a ford p/u. I got mine from an F350. i took the input shaft of the transfer case with me to check, you need the one with the 28 spline output shaft.

need T150 or T174 b/h, have it machined for crank position sensor, OR buy custom b/h

need special pilot bushing for amc/ford, AA has them

need iron duke clutch slave, mate it to stock clutch master AA has parts or find them used

need a bronco d20 transfer case, preferably from 6 cyl standard

need tranny/transfer case adapter, I'm making my own, AA and others sell them

have to custom make cross member and skid after, plus possible exhaust system re routing (haven't gotten that far yet)

As far as I can tell, you need custom speedo drive, although I'm still researching that - you can get a custom speedo drive, I'm just hoping to find a cheaper solution before I shell out the bucks.

almost certainly have to alter drive shafts.

Hope this helps.

Chad

Chad Lloyd 95 YJ 4.0 NP435 EBD20 woodies D44s 4.88 detroits SOA revolvers 35 X 15.5 SXs 8274
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2001, 10:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Not to sound too stupid, but, what is the advantage of going to a 435?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 07:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Big, heavy and STRONG. Not to mention the 6.68:1 first gear. Nice
crawling tranny, and you can put behind just about any motor and expect
it to survive.

Jim O'Brien
[email protected]
http://www.tidesys.com
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

I already have the 435 out of a F 150,It was suppose to be a cheap swap but gets more expensive by the minute,new synchros, new bearings, new front bearing retainer,
plus the AA kit,going behind a 258 with D300 T'case,on top of geting ripped for the trans in the first place .Oh well just going with the flow .I needed to replace the trans anyhow just didn't think it would cost this much.

Still wondering about the thread inserts on the bellhousing if this would be stronger or just drill and tap the housing.aand if anyone did this swap did they just drill or use a drillpress for accuracy ?

Ray
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 09:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The YJ's were the first tub to see galvanize as far as I know. That's not to say someone else didn't try to galvanize your CJ tub. I'm not sure exactly when or if all YJ's are galvanized but it was definitely after '86.

K-16
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 10:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I couldn't tell you that, but I can tell you that the jeep bellhousing from a T150 or a T176 tranny should bolt to your engine and the np435 without any drilling or tapping, to the best of my knowledge. It sounds to me like you are trying to make your current bell housing fit between the engine and tranny, I'm saying use a different bell housing and you shouldn't have to drill any holes. If I got it wrong, sorry. Hope this helps. Chad

ps. my T150 b/h cost me $50 canadian, they're cheap and plentiful.

Chad Lloyd 95 YJ 4.0 NP435 EBD20 woodies D44s 4.88 detroits SOA revolvers 35 X 15.5 SXs 8274
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Had to get off line for a minute ....
My speedo drive comes off the T'case and the case legnth with the adapter eliminates the need for driveshaft alterations = one of the reasons I chose this swap in the first place.
Except for the core charge and shipping it may have been cheaper to buy one rebuilt from Hicks or some other place...since they come with the adapter in place already.
My clutch housing and everything stays the same but I will have to do something with the skid plate /trans mount .I did need a new clutch plate though 1 1/16 " by ten spline my old one was 1 1/8" ten spline.And of cource my original Question of drilling the bellhousing.
I already have everything out and am trying to match everything up .

Ray
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 07:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

What vechicles came with 435s installed?

post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Mine came out of an 85 ford F 150 they ran back into the 70's from what I have read ,there is a Dodge version but no avaliable adapters that I know of .
I guess in some places they are cheap and plentifull but it took me three weekends of calling junkyards to finally locate one and I paid more than I should have just to end the looking part .I got impatient,never a good thing when looking for something especially deals.

Ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode