izuzu amigo-anyone seen one offroad? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2001, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

izuzu amigo-anyone seen one offroad?

I saw a izuzu amigo in town today. I was thinking it looked like it might be made into quite a capable offroad vehicle. I hadn't really paid any attention to them before except that I have heard people say stuff about them similar to the cj-5: too short, going to tip..etc-->all the stuff that would make it a great vehicle offroad. Just wondering if anyone has seen one on the trails. What kind of mods do people do to them..axles etc. the izuzu off-road site is pretty small, not a whole lot of info.

Cjay

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2001, 07:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: izuzu amigo-anyone seen one offroad?

I saw one in the ditch the other day spinning its tires. Went by 2 days later - it was still there! haha - My buddy Dave has one and it sure drives a ton better than my other buddy Bob's Ford SUV. As for Dave's ride - it has never even been dusty - so don't know about off-road potential. Looks good!

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 05:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yup we take em off road. in fact we have a BBS devoted to 4wheeling isuzus, at www.4x4wire.com if your interested. there are a few lift options for both first and second gen amigos, as well as lockers, low gears and many other accessories and off road equipment. as far as axles go both new and old run the isuzu corporate 10 bolt in front and in the rear the new ones have a Dana 44 and the first gens run a slightly stronger isuzu 12 bolt. we dont have quite the aftermarket support that jeeps have, but if you know where to look and what to buy you can build one that will go anywhere a highly modified jeep can.

Dallas
89 hard top amigo 4x4
ARB air locker, 3" lift, 32x11.5 BFG Muds, rancho 5000s, custom exhaust

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 10:38 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

They've got a pretty capable and pretty heavy duty rear suspension/axle setup. The big limitation is the IFS. The larger stock motor is pretty gutsy as well...but I believe that they use corporate (read: Isuzu) trannys and t-cases, which would make swappability difficult.

Moneyless, Will weld for jeep accessories.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 07:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Isuzu amigo-anyone seen one offroad?

Hey Beater -- the Amigo you saw in the ditch was probably a 2WD... They came in 4WD and 2WD models... The 4x4 version wouldn't have been stuck.

Like wheelinamigo said, sure, we take 'em off-road all the time. They're damn good vehicles, and very well built. The 98+ models come standard with a Dana 44 rear axle -- and that's actually a step down from the Isuzu Corporate 12-bolt rear they came with prior to 98....

As for drivetrain and things like that, there are actually quite a few options for making that a good bit better. I mean, the stock stuff is about as stout as it gets, and axle ratios are already ridiculously low (4.30, 4.55 and 4.80 are the only possibilities), but t-cas gearing could use some help. Enter Tera Low with their 3.07:1 t-case reduction, and you've got a nice off-road machine. If you really wanna go nuts, on the 98+ models, Toyota transmissions BOLT ON (i.e. no modifications to bellhousing....) where the Isuzu tranny is now, and that opens the door to any kind of Marlin Crawler setup you could ever want.

These trucks are not cheap to build -- but they sure are fun and rewarding -- and it's a lot better than seeing 20 or 30 people just like you on the road every day.

-Chris

"To flex out a solid axle is human. To spank 'em with IFS is divine!"
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 01:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Just about three and a half years ago, I wheeled the Panamint Range and Death Valley with the President of the Orange County something or other (4 wheel drive club). We did some serious stuff and lots of washboard and exploring and the Amigo showed me it was real and tough and good and desirable as a four wheel machine. The driver/owner was Steve something or other. Fine rig and fine individual. I'd go anywhere with him.

Come to think of it, that was the trip I went to Charlie Manson's place in Goler Wash. Hmmmm.

We babysat a man and his six or seven year old son in a Toyota pickup who went fourwheeling in the winter with no coats and no spare. No food or water. No brains, obviously. We talked about the Darwinian theory of survival and if he hadn't had his son with him we might have just left......

Not really, but we were not kind to him in what we told him. It probably was unnecessary but maybe he will fix the problem in the future or stay at home and not be the problem.

We had another problem that trip; the TLC with us, 'bout a ' 72 model, broke the rear axle housing. Just mild wheeling and the gentleman driving was easy on the gas and it cracked in the center section area. We got him out and all the way to the fifteen where he knew some people to put him up for the night. But I've never heard of that happening before or since. Those early Cruisers are supposed to be super strong.

I ramble.

Point is that the Amigo proved itself to me that trip. Only the Amigo and the YJ were untouched by disaster that whole time.

sln

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 01:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

LOL...yes that would have been steve you were wheeling with, also known as littlebuddy. i wheel with him whenever i go back to cali, in fact i'm driving on his old mud terrains. freaked me out when you mentioned him i talk to him all the time. good guy, also has one of the more nicely built and hardest wheeled amigos out there. and he's owned it since it was new.

Dallas

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 01:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

CJay it's sorta funny that I asked the same question on the Isuzu/Honda board and you got more responses and got responses faster here on the short wheel bases Jeep board.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 04:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i think the reason for the many responses on this thread is that one of the isuzu board members saw this and posted it on the other board. by the way the isuzu rodeo/honda passport and the isuzu trooper are also very good off road. in fact the trooper is quite a bit more capable than the amigo in some ways. you should see the pics of a rental trooper chris took to moab in october.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 05:52 PM

You're talking about Steve Gardiner. He's the president of West Coast 4 Wheel Drive. I've seen him on the trail a time or two.

John
95.5 YJ with "stuff"
94 GMC Z71 with less "stuff"
http://SonsofThunder4x4.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode