Winch or a locker?Dilemma of 2001 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2001, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

Winch or a locker?Dilemma of 2001

Should I get a e-z locker or an old warn winch?I go wheelin with a guy who said his friend has an old warn 5 or 6,000 lb. winch.He said the other guy would probably only want 250 for it..which is the same price of the e-z locker..Which 1 should I get guys?I have a decent amount of money comin back from w-2's.Wooooh!

Short Wheelbase Message Board Members Pictures!http://www.geocities.com/swbjeep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2001, 04:23 PM
Wrangler88

Re: Winch or a locker?Dilemma of 2001

well in my own deliemma of that question, u've got both good and bad points... both will get u unstuck, thats if u get stuck, the winch will always get you out assuming there is something u can attach it too, if not your still screwed. ona locker works all the time, which might make it so u don't need a winch, the winch can help others too not just yourself like a locker would.. if u've got weak axles the locker may break your axle, if u've got week springs it might make your jeep sag in the front.. i'm not sure which to do with.. its really how u wheel and what your biggest problems are.. have a good one hope this helps!

(\/)ikey
1988 Wrangler Laredo 4.2L w/5spd Manual
1995 Wrangler 2.5L w/ 5spd / 31"BFG AT's
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2001, 05:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Winch. I wheeled my Jeep for 13 years with a winch and Track Lock. The winch was the second thing I ever bought for it after the first set of bigger tires and lift. It got me and others out of all sorts of situations before I finally caught the rock crawling bug. For most wheeling other than hard core crawling lockers are just a luxury. BTW, make sure you get a roller fairlead, a hawse fairlead is useless except on straight pulls.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2001, 05:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'd go with the winch as well. If you get stuck with a locker, you're stuck bad. Then you'll wish you had a winch. Around here you can get a Warn OR Ramsey 8000lb for $300 without even trying especially after hunting season. I got mine for $150 (8000lb Warn). It wasn't in perfect condition but it works

K-16
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

Winch it is!
Hey if they winch ends up sucking...Where do you find these winches 77?

Short Wheelbase Message Board Members Pictures!http://www.geocities.com/swbjeep
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 03:57 AM
Old Hand

Well, for that money, I'd buy the winch. You might need a snatch block to double your line pull if the winch is only a 5K winch. Also, I have seen ez lockers sell for $100-$175 on ebay if you happen to find the right one.

-raymo
Scrambler
258 4.0 Head/MPI,NV4500,D300,4.10's,HS9500
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 09:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

After hunting season there's always several in the Thrifty Nickel. I got mine from a buddy that just couldn't get rid of his. Admittedly he just about gave it to me. Last year I found a running V8 Scout for $1200 with a working 8274. I have a friend who is retired and an avid hunter. He knows about every Jeep for sale within a 200 mile radius. He keeps an eye on all the papers and pawn shops. He just pointed this out to me last year when he mailed me five ads for 8000lb winches for $300-$400. Its not like getting a brand new winch but if it pulls it pulls. Mine still needs a little work. Broke one of the electrical studs trying to change out the wiring. That reminds me, time to head to the garage. Check the places I've mentioned and ask around to anyone you know that hunts. Especially if they are on a big deer lease.

K-16
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 09:42 AM
sas87yj

joey-i would probably go with neither![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] don't know your jeep real well but i would spend the money elsewhere. i would make it more dependable mechanically if it isn't yet ie:
radiator
carburator
tires/spare
jack
shocks
leaks
etc...............
i know i have to sit back and figure what i need most realistically with my budget! i have found that i can go a lot of places w/o lockers and a winch! as was already mentioned-a winch is no good without something to anchor to. here in the desert there are no trees! sometimes it seems more of a macho thing to have a winch on the bumper![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] just my opinion and have fun! sometimes we buy stuff we don't really need for the enjoyment of our hobby which is cool too!!!![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 09:57 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Around here (plenty of trees, not many pepople to wheel with) a winch is almost a necessity if you want to go out regularly. Good point though about the budget. I make my budget into sub-categories (Safety, Reliability, Off-Roadability, etc.). Then separate these into needs and wants. My safety and reliability lists stay the shortest.

K-16
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 10:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I agree with the winch choice...however...$250 for an old 5000# winch? Sounds a bit steep. You might wanna check your other options before you run out and buy that one.

Moneyless, Will weld for jeep accessories.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode