Will Dana 20 fit behind 304/TH400? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2001, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Addict

Will Dana 20 fit behind 304/TH400?

Will the dana 20 from a '79 Cherokee (T18, 4 speed manual) fit behind my TH400 in my '77 CJ-7 (to replace the Quadratrac)? Without expensive adaptors! I know I'll have to change to a centered rear diff (I was thinking of doing this anyway).
Additionally, is this worthwhile, do I gain anything? I also have the lo-range, is this lower than the D20's? I have a spare Qtrac I plan to rebuild and don't mind the Qtrac but I might have a chance to upgrade to a D44 rear.
Finally, what is a D20 worth w/about 140k miles?

rich
77cj7304QtracTH400, 31" BFG AT's, TFI upgrade
79cj7frame,ready to be built
83cj7inpieces, parts Jeep
"They can have my guns, but they'll have to take them bullets first."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2001, 01:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Will Dana 20 fit behind 304/TH400?

the th400 will need a different output shaft, this was a standard configuration, easiest way is to find a early to mid 60's wagoneer and take the tranny, adapter, and t-case all in one shot. the full size bb would have more specific answers. this is the combo i run and i like it, i used it hard and it hasn't broke yet

83cj7 401 th400 dana 20 dana 60 arb 14bolt detroit
full width tera low soa wrangler springs
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2001, 05:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I did the swap on my 78 CJ7... you need an adaptor for it.. and centered diff.. I got upgrade to D44 axle in the rear...

<font color=blue> Muddynut </font color=blue>
<font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] 78 CJ7 "Issues" </font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2001, 07:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have the same drivetrain in my 78CJ7 - just bought a used QuadraTrac case with a part time conversion in it. Well - now I have bought a TH400 w/d20 and am chunking the QTrac. I thought the QTrac did great but finally bowed to peer pressure - If you are not in the snow everone is really down on QTracs. If you decide to stay QTrac I don't have much invested in the PartTime setup I bought from Jaffer. I belive it is one of the underdrive ones, also. There is a lot to do if you change from the QTrac - Rear axle change is just part of it. Good Luck.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2001, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Addict

Hey Beater,
Are you saying your part-time setup is for sale? I had considered this before but have heard of some having prob's with the part-time kits shifting into fwd. What has your experience been with it? What might you be asking for it? I am in Maryland though, so shipping may be prohibitive. Let me know,
[email protected]
Thanks all for the input. I will making some decisions soon and am sure I'll have a bunch more questions when I start the frame-off!

rich
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2001, 09:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I know nothing about em - Got this one used and it was bought with the understanding that the seller really knew nothing other than what the guy He bought it from told him. I know that CJDave is a dyed in the wool expert on em! I have not had it all the way out of the box it was shipped to me in -cost $36.00 from Farmington NM to Burbank CA. Hope this helps.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 07:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Fratt:
I did this swap a year or two ago and I've been very pleased with it although it is failry time consuming and gets expensive. You might do a search under my name and see if anything comes up.

The tailshaft of your th400 has to be changed out from the 10 spline shaft that mates to the q-trac to a 30 splined shaft. This requires tearing down the whole tranny, so might as well get a rebuild & shift kit while its out. My ran about $275 with the new 30 spline shaft. (the shaft my tranny guy used was a standard 2WD th400 shaft). The cheapest adapter is the factory adapter from vehicles that ran the th400/Dana 20 combo. 67-73 Jeepsters and old J series trucks had this combo. I paid $300 for the th400/adapter/Dana20 unit out of a wrecking yard. Doesn't matter what shape the th400 is in. The only thing you might use out of it is the tailshaft. D20s are pretty tough so not much to go wrong there, just make sure it shifts into 2hi, 4 hi and 4lo by checking the front output.

It is probably easier to find the dana20 and adapter for sale together as a unit. Most dont want to sell just the adapter, so keep your eyes out for one on the for sale board. You will have to move your skid plate rearward 1-2" for the new set-p. I just redrilled holes in the skid. Both driveshafts had to be changed. Shoter in the rear, longer up front. You'll have to take your measurements once the new t-case is in place. The shift linkage will have to be modified some to have it come through the floorboard in the right place. What you have to do depends on the D20 you use. The Jeepsters and j-series had a remote shifter box, a little different than the standard D20. The tech page has a pic of one.

I guess I'm hard on parts and I've busted one factory adapter already. They are made fron aluminum and have two weak looking footings where the t-case mounts to the skid plate via the rubber mount. The adapter I have now I beefed up by having an experienced TIG wleder weld some additional bracing to the adapter footings. I strongly recommend doing this while you have everything out. It sucks pulling that crap back out.

Dana20s are pretty common at around $50-75 in my neck of the woods. But like I said, I would probably look for the adapter first, you may find yourself buying a Dana20 just to get the adapter.

I like the Dana20 ALOT more than the q-trac. The low range isn't very good (2.03:1). Your q-trac w/low range is lower, 2.46:1? But the cast iron, all gear stoutness of the Dana20 I love. Not much to go wrong.
Shain

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Addict

Shain and all,
Thanks for the replys. I think I do recall some of the thread about D20's a while back. I guess I just need a refresher (sheesh and I'm not even 30 yet : )
Anyway, after reading all the changes Shain described I think I'll stay with the Qtrac set-up for now. Too bad too since I have a set of widetrack axles (D30/AMC20) from an '83 CJ-7 right here. I would have liked the wider ones since I'll be raising the center of gravity with a lift and all. Oh well, I guess they're for sale if anyone wants them. Probably not worth a whole lot unless someone wants to replace some broken ones. Like I said they are stock out of an '83 CJ-7 w/2.70 gears I think. Thanks again for the info.

rich
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 09:16 PM

fratt-
Around here a good set of wide track axels are worth from $400 to $600 bucks.
The Q-Trac I sold had a front disconnect kit and the '77 CJ-7 it was in also had after market front disconnect hubs ... a typical upgrade.
It did not have an under drive assembly or I would have problbly been told.
When I bought it to part out I was told that Off-Again had done the part time coversion a couple of years ago.
It must be in there as my son got it stuck in the sand wash in Chokecherry Canyon when he was home for Thanksgiving and only the rear wheels were spinning!
The vac hoses to it were shot and I didn't get a chance to check it out as Jim Peterson and Dan Brown here needed a CJ tub badly for a super crawler project so we chopped it off shortly afterwards ... to run in it's original config nevermore ...

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode