258 Quirks, What's new! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2001, 01:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

258 Quirks, What\'s new!

No other carbed vehicle I have owned has had a CTO valve and my Jeep runs like hell with the EGR valve connected to vacuum so...?
1. What's the difference in ported vacuum as appossed to the good old manifold vacuum?

2. What use is the CTO valve and is it expendable?

3. Same as 2. but regarding EGR.

4. What makes the BBD Carter such an unefficient carb and what can I change to make it better (wife says hi...carry on...) sorry about that.

5. Is the stepper on the carb part of the problem, no other carb has it, can I just delete it and set my mixture normaly?

6. How much of the vacuum line spider web on my engine do I actually HAVE to keep?

My 81 350 had no emissions and maybe 2 vacuum lines (distributer advance and brake booster) and it ran cherry. I have no concern where I am about emissions tests so I don't care about that I just want to make it run better without all that useless garbage. It I wanted the rats nest under the hood I would have got injection.
Thanks in advance. I just want to simplify things without having a choked up motor, empty wallet and rich dealership.

PS. Already removed the pulse air system, disconnected EGR(big improvement), got rid of everything connected to the air cleaner housing because I got rid of the air cleaner housing, Accel super coil, High energy wires, K&N filter, 4.0 head swap as soon as I can find a 4.0 head, new catalytic converter, clear idle tubes.
'88 Sahara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2001, 05:36 AM
sas87yj

Re: 258 Quirks, What\'s new!

maybe this site you have not seen yet. it has some answers to the cto, egr and carb. i have all mine still stock as tucson is pretty tight with smog inspection![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/258bbd/Major.htm

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 07:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 258 Quirks, What\'s new!

Hello?

Well I removed the stepper and set my mixture normaly and its running much better. I also moved the distributor vacuum advance line to a better vacuum source. Still wondering if I NEED to keep all the hoses and valves on top of the valve cover and on the fire wall. How about the CTO, most of the lines were disconnected when I got the Jeep.
Still looking for a 4.0 head but other than that it's running good now. Although I can't make my 4x4 light come on but the 4x4 works fine. Yes the bulb is good.

If at first you don't succeed, Hope you brought a rope!

'88 Sahara, 4.2, auto.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode