Pro Comp 4' - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2001, 01:11 AM Thread Starter

Pro Comp 4\'

Anyone know of the Procomp 4 inch lift for a YJ??
how is it? and what is a good price, any info would be fantastic.
thanks.
-neb

-ben....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2001, 11:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Pro Comp 4\'

I put the 4" Procrap lift on my YJ last year. I'm thinking I paid around $500 for the complete kit. It comes with everything you will need EXCEPT a Drop Pitman Arm which you will definitely need. I had to buy that extra which costs like another $50. The kit itself was pretty easy to install. The hard part was getting the old stuff off. I had to cut/mangle four of the shackle bolts to get them off. They were seriously rusted on there. Heated them with torches and beat the crap out of the bolts. Still wouldn't budge...That's when the trip to Sears for a Sawsall was my only option and the cutting began....Make sure you get replacement bolts before you start cutting the old bolts. I tore everything off at once and had the Jeep sitting on jackstands in the garage for a month waiting for the bolts to come in from the dealership. The bolts on the sway bars were also tough, but I did manage with a torch and BFH. The last thing that was tough was getting the old pitman arm off the steering box. I broke two cheap pullers on it and finally said screw it and went to Sears (again) and paid like $35 for a puller. I heated the bastard up again and finally got it off with the craftsman puller and a 2 foot breaker bar. One suggestion to give to you or anyone else would be DON'T EVER BUY CHEAP TOOLS that aren't guaranteed for life. Especially if your working on a rusted Jeep!!! I also did not put the hardware from the kit on for the sway bars or traction bars because I wanted to leave them off anyway. Also, get yourself some loctite because you will need to leave all the shackle bolts loose. If not, the springs will be too tight and your ride will really suck. (Rough as hell). Not to mention every speed bump will launch you right out of your seat...The loctite will keep the nuts from backing off the bolts. If you have any more questions, let me know. Or anyone else for that matter...I attached a pic of my beater so you can see how the lift looks on my YJ..Better not laugh at my little donut tires!!!

Tommy B. in AZ -
More Guts than Brains.
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] WHASSSUP!?!?!?!?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-311092-Beater2.jpg (44.3 KB, 0 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2001, 11:08 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

One more note: FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE TO MAKE IT EASIER FOR ANYONE ANSWERING YOUR QUESTIONS......
Thanks from "all of us"

Tommy B. in AZ -
More Guts than Brains.
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] WHASSSUP!?!?!?!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2001, 07:11 PM
Carey

I've installed almost every brand out there and the ProComp kits are a good quality kit.

The key to any lift kit installation is having the right tools to do the job. Air tools make it so much easier. Plan ahead before you start your installation. Get a can of P-B Blaster penetrating oil and spray every bolt you will have to loosen; daily, for about a week before you begin. That one step will save a lot of time and scraped knuckels.

As for the pitman arm delima; I had the same experience. Then I had an old time mechanic tell me the trick to it. You Don't use the puller to pull the pitman arm off the steering shaft. Use the puller to put it under tension and the tap on the side of the pitman arm (not the steering shaft) with a hammer then retighten the puller, tap again, repeat, etc. It will drop off without a lot of effort that way. By the way the nut on the steering shaft is a 1-5/16" if I remember correctly so make sure you have the correct size handy.

Some of the bolts are also large TORX bolts, something like T45 or T50. Always use the fasteners that come with the kit and don't be afraid to call the manufacturers tech number if you have questions before you start. They might have a tip that will save you some time on their kit.

I agree with munneypit about buying quality tools but I found out a long time ago you can get quality tools for a lot less than "CRAPSMAN" tools. I've had better luck with the tools you buy from the larger auto parts stores.

Carey Smith
71 (C101)Jeepster Commando
97 (TJ) Wrangler
95 Bronco
Middle Tennessee Trail Runners
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode