Surprise Canyon to close 2/15 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 07:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Surprise Canyon to close 2/15

If you ever wanna wheel Surprise, you got less than a month.
BLM on Feb 15th will institute an emergency closure to
motorized
> vehicles access in Surprise Canyon. By May 1, 2001, BLM shall
install a
> locked gate in the vicinity of the South 1/2 section to block vehicle
access
> to the canyon. As soon as practicable but no later than July 1,
2001, BLM
> shall complete public scoping, completion of an NEPA document and
concurrence
> of the California Desert District Office, issue a decision document.
The
> decision document shall determine the nature or conditions under
which such
> access, if any, will be allowed. Individual owing private property
in the
> vicinity of Panamint City shall not be subject to the restrictions of
this
> paragraph

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 08:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Surprise Canyon to close 2/15

Brad -
What is the BLM doing with Surprise? Isn't the upper end on National Park land? Death Valley?

sln

PS
This pisses me off! It is one of my dreams to do Surprise again. This time in my Jeep. What is the causation?

sln

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 08:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The causation is a massive green lawsuit with the CBD (if course) at the head of it all. Supposedly the closure is temporary...temporary my a$$! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 09:31 PM
Keyboard Implanted

this really sucks... im out here in north carolina.. i want to wheel that thing.. damn!!!

http://www.jeepgod.net

84 CJ-7 401/T-18/D20/D44/D60w/4.10&Detriots/YJ frame & tub/35x16x15 Boggers
<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 09:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well jeepgod, you got about 4 weeks. Me too. I live in the SW, have been all over Utah, Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico, have never made it out to California to wheel. You're right, this sucks.

Brad
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 09:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

BTW, Surprise isn't the only area closed, the list is a full page long. I've been asked to not give all the details as of yet, as soon as I get the go ahead the complete settlement will be posted in the Land Use Section.

Brad
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2001, 12:09 AM

That really sucks.
And although there are bigger problem at hand than, the selfish thought of "I better run it before its closed",...but, "I better run it before its closed".
Looks like its, time for a road trip, If I can just get a day off in the next couple of weeks. Its only about 3 hours from Vegas.
Im sure I can get some of the other wheelers from the Tin Benders club out of Ridgecrest Ca to run it also.
Whos in for some wheelin?
Whos up for some wheelin

Jeff
89 YJ
There is no "TRY", Just "DO" or "DONT DO"
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2001, 12:27 AM
Keyboard Implanted

hey h8.. im with you.. it goes beyond me and you running those trails.. which i would give your left tesitcle for.. but.. it delves into americas right to adventure into its own lands.. granted i would love to wheel it.. before they close it down.. but... it should never get closed down.. how many clubs on here do something positive for the eco-****s.. pardon the french.. but its how i feel.. our club.. is so poor.. we cant get into a national org... like south east fourwheelers.. all we can do is get some cheesey web links to our site.. but we still get with the local national forest and organize clean up runs and such.. i dont know what else to do.. im just a jarhead.. and i take this freedom for granted.. since i have spent 12 years making sure that its there.. and every man in my family has served in a war.. since WWI.. i guess i take it for granted that we have fought and died for freedom.. and some that havent yet tasted the unknown loss of freedom.. have no right to pass judgement on those that have tasted the loss..
for those that have not the will to fight.. do not deserve the right of freedom... i do not make sure this land is free.. so i can have some pocket protecting pencil neck dork.. tell me.. that it is.. unavailable.. i am the one that has given faithful service to this country.. i am the one that has given you the right to remain free.. and i now demand the justice of secureing that bit of freedom for some of us... who truly live to be free....

http://www.jeepgod.net

84 CJ-7 401/T-18/D20/D44/D60w/4.10&Detriots/YJ frame & tub/35x16x15 Boggers
<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2001, 03:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well I guess I can cross that one off my "to run" list. That really sucks. I'm sure there are a lot more knowledgable people then myself fighting to keep the area open but the way we have kept a lot of trails open in AZ is by getting mining claims on them. I guess there is some law where if you have a claim on a piece of land the govt. can't prevent you from accessing it. That's how a couple local trails have been saved. It's probably too little too late but I thought I'd throw that out there.
Travis

Jeeps, Jeeps everywhere but not one that runs[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img].
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2001, 05:56 AM
sas87yj

this really sucks man![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] and yet another closure by the bureaucraps and the eco-rats!. we will be kept to the pavement and even then will be required to obtain passes to travel from a to b. all our freedom is slowly being taken away. our personal access to all state parks and monuments is and will be closed. can't drive through zion and parts of grand canyon already to name a few! what are we doing wrong in surprise canyon now? leaving a few axles behind or what! it's just plain "f"-ing bull-sh!t!!!!!! that road used to be traveled by two wheel drive easily is the past and received hundreds of visitors a year. sure and there was some vandalism of the chimney and even i took several of the fallen brick for a cool fireplace! this was way before it was sucked into the national park. i can only imagine that now with the road so practically impassible that panamint city is un-touchable now! but some of us can still reach it with our rigs and that is pi$$ing the ba$tards off and they will put an end to that!!!!!!!!!!! we will lose this battle and all others! we are not the government.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode