ot: new guy needs some help buying tools - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

ot: new guy needs some help buying tools

I have a birthday coming up and i would really like to get some tools. The tools around my house now few and far, and mostly for smaller "jobs". I would like to get some nice tools that will let me get the job done and will last for a while. What do you guys think i should go for? What brands? I am thinking no power tools for right now. I would like to eventually go to air tools so i can run an impact wrench though. I guess it would be best to get sockets that can stand up to air tools. Thanks- tim

Sold the CJ... Cant wait for the next time around!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 02:29 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: ot: new guy needs some help buying tools

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] To be perfectly frank about this, Tim, FOR GENERAL PURPOSE USE, you would be just fine with CRAFTSMAN. They are durable and well-made; have a great guarantee; and are affordable. I have worked in shops and off a service truck. I have owned Proto, Snap-On, and New Britain, and Craftsman. There are CERTAIN ITEMS that you HAVE to buy from Snap-On(the other brands are junk)....like allen sockets....and some other specialized stuff like universal sockets. BUT ALL THE REST can be Craftsman. And one more thing.....Snap-On will have to fill in some holes in you set; like a 1/4" drive 5/8" socket for example.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 02:47 PM

JUst remember that whatever you buy make sure it has a lifetime warrenty. A guy can spend a small fortune buying cheap tools breaking them and then buying more cheap tools. IF it has a life time warrenty you only have to buy everything once.IF you use your 3/8 in ratchet with a 4 foot cheater bar to pry off rusted wheel nuts and you snap it in half(IF it has a LT warrenty) you just take it back and they give you a new one free, not to say I have done this,heh.I personally like Mastercraft. Good hunting.

I need to get a girlfriend I'm getting to close to my jeep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 02:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Craftsman is a good choice! There is a Sears in every mall across America. That way when you are on a wheelin' trip and break your only spindle nut socket, you can bum a ride to the nearest Sears. Now I know alot of people will say that if you had purchased the Snap-On it wouldn't have broke in the first place.
I alway respond "if I had purchased the Snap-On, I would be sober right now!"[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Common sense is genius dressed in working clothes.
http://www.austinjeeper.com

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 03:19 PM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">I got my tools from the Home Depot (Husky brand). They have a lifetime warranty, in fact it was explained to me that they'll even take broken craftsman tools and replace them with husky if you bring them in there as well as broken husky brand for replacements. Husky's ratchets are far more comfortable and better fitting for hands than the craftsman ones are. Plus, the quality seems to be equal or slightly better than the craftsman. My dad has a set of the craftsman ones, and I won't touch the things. Just don't feel "right". Reasonable prices. I've had my set for several years, and have yet to break any piece.

When it's time for airtools spend the extra $$ and get some impact sockets, the chrome ones just won't hold up to the abuse of an impact wrench. I use my chrome ones with the air ratchet and haven't experienced a problem though. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Just my $0.02.</font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My November article on ORC
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 03:20 PM

I just got a big craftsman for christmass, 241 peice I think, it's got a sh!t load of sockets, 1/4", 3/8", 1/2" std. & metric some deep wells and all, nut drives, allens, complete set of wrenches, std and metric, I could have used these for my bumper install. I'm like you jeepless, it sucks. this set also included a 4 drawer. Added to a 6 piece craftsman pro screw driver set, 3 pc. plier set, a hammer, hacksaw, and some other stuff. Now all I need is a jeep, well I've got dad's xj. some of my stuff is good and some sucks, Had an altrade set, it pretty much sucked, Like the craftsman, also I hear good about popular mechanics from wallmart, guess they are the same way as craftsman and also walmart is open to 11 or 24 hours around here so they are easier to get than craftsman.
BarrelRoll

'95 YJ Totaled!
Now All I have is an insurance Claim

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 03:23 PM

i agree with the CRAFTSMAN tools thoughts posted. the first thing you will probably need is a socket set. they have some really good ones for around $200. next, you will probably want to get the TORX set, i think it comes with 6 or 7 bit/sockets and around $30-$40. something else is to ask the cashier for the Craftsman club flyer. you sign up and about every 60 days they send out a sale flyer. extremely good prices on some things and usually everything else 10% off. definitely worth the ten minutes it takes to fill out the form! hope this helps and good luck! matt

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

I will go looking at brands sat. What tools exactly do you think i will need. Im not very good with the names of tools but i should get a big set of sockets (probally 1/2 inch right?) and a long wrench since i wont have power. I have a drill so a nice set of drill bits... What else do i need? I am a little lost. Hopefully in the summer i will be rich enough to get air (impact, grinder, nice drill)I dont want to buy anything twice and hopefully every thing that i by will be interchangeable.

How about a tool box? I hate lossing my stuff but somehow always manage to do so. should i try to get one of those metal ones on wheels like i see in shops or go with more of a pick up and go type. thanks- tim

post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

one more thought: since im only working on jeeps i would only need standard sizes right?... but then again i do have a honda and that would be metric right again? would i be better off getting both or just going with standard?

post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 03:48 PM

check this stuff out!:

http://www.sears.com/jsp-scripts/fra...L&pid=00933841

http://www.sears.com/jsp-scripts/fra...L&pid=00965783

or check out www.craftsman.com. go to Tool Territory. they also have info on the craftsman club at the top. hope this helps! matt

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode