Ignition Question- MSD? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 11:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ignition Question- MSD?

I believe I'm going to start shopping for an MSD Ignition for my 78 CJ7... its got a 304 TR Upgrade. What does everything think the best module is for my jeep? I want the Timing Control Device Also? How about WaterProof-Ness? How much am I about to fork over?

<font color=blue> Muddynut</font color=blue>
<font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]'78 CJ7 "Issues"-304-35s</font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 12:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Ignition Question- MSD?

Just stick with the MSD6A box or the Off-road version if you are concerned about water. The programmable timing control is for racing engines where detonation becomes a concern. The guys who are in the market for these typically have turbos, blowers, and/or nitrous injection on a high horsepower engine. In order to properly program it to change the timing (it's not automatic) you have to know at what point in your ignition curve detonation is occuring and how much the timing needs to be retarded. This requires time at the track and the distributors timing curve to be determined beforehand. In other words, a waste of time and money for a street vehicle. Check Summit Racing or Jegs for the best prices.

'75 CJ5,258 w/Howell EFI,T18a,4.27's,33's,On-board air,Warn 8274
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 01:02 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I agree with SnowTow, stick with the msd6a. To combat water, you have two choices. Either get the off road version, or just mount your box up high or inside your cab. You can see pics of it mounted high just by following the link below and then going to tech center. I will be adding some sort of splash gaurd to it in the near future.

Keith

ITS GOOD ENOUGH [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 02:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I believe that H8 ordered his from http://www.partsamerica.com. You can then run down to your local Advance Auto Parts and pick it up. No tax, shipping, and good price as far as I can remember. I ordered mine from Summit, Just make sure that you know exactly what you need if you order anything for a Jeep from them.

Jason

<font color=green>----------------</font color=green>
<font color=green>[]llll[] '90 YJ, NV4500, XD9000i, 35" MT/R, Snorkle, 4.5" RE lift, Tera Revolvers, etc. etc.</font color=green>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode