Winch questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 11:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Winch questions

Howdy all,

Santa was good to the old bank account this year and I am now, happily, in the market for a winch. Therein lies my list of questions. First of all, what is the benefit of a 9000lb.(or higher) winch over an 8000lb. winch? Second, are Warn's really that much better than Ramsey's? Third, do I need to beef up my electrical situation when going with an electric winch, ie. Optima battery/Stronger Alternator? And finally, who knows the best price for a decent winch?

I should add that I have no problem with mail order, especially seeing as I don't think I could even go out and buy a winch in a store around here. I am putting this winch on my '83 CJ-7 with a 4" suspension lift and a 258. I already have a mounting plate for a Ramsey, but I've been told that it will also work fine for a Warn. Is this good info.?

Thanx for all helpful opinions in advance,

G-Man, 83' CJ7, Detroit's and 4.56's front and rear, 35 Baja Claws
Wheel it today, it could be a housing development tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 11:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Winch questions

Buy what you can afford, 8k is adequate. Heck, I've had a 6K Warn on my CJ-7 for 15 yrs., have used it a zillion times, only had to double line it with the snatch block a couple times. I even pulled a Hummer out of a stuck single line a few months ago. My electrical system is stock, never had a problem, but for real long pulls or continuous use a dual battery setup would be nice. One other thing, if your suspension is one of the "softride" kind, expect bigtime sag with a winch.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 01:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I agree with most of what cjjeepercreeper said. Regarding winch rating, however, keep in mind that the recommended >minimum< rating is 1-1/2 times the vehicle weight. This ensures plenty of capacity to get you out of deep mud, etc. With that in mind, consider the >gross< and >combined< vehicle weight rating of your Jeep. If your rig weight in at 3000 pounds dry weight, a winch rated for 4500# >minimum< might be adequate. But what if you load your Jeep up with a maximum load of gear and people, and then add your favorite off road trailer? Get the idea?

My 2000 TJ has a combined vehicle weight rating (Jeep + trailer) of around 6700 pounds. I pull a BackCountry trailer, and use a Warn 9500 winch. This is slightly over the 1-1/2 times the potential vehicle weight of my rig.

As for suspension, you definitely want to have heavy-duty springs and shocks. At around 100 pounds for a good-size winch, safe handling will be in the toilet if you don't cover yourself.

My battery is a 1100ccA Nascar battery (around $100). It provides plenty of reserve for short to moderate pulls; enough to get me out of trouble.

Good luck!

Hewgag

Visit my 2000TJ at http://www.backcountrytrailers.com/T...ers/bcrigs.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 01:19 PM
Old Hand

I bought my hs9500 from a place called clemson 4x4 or something like that. No shipping and no sales tax since they are not in my state. Their prices for the winch alone were about $100 less than anywhere else, plus free shipping and no tax.

The one thing about a winch is you probably will buy just one (as opposed to tires, seats, engine, axles, etc.) in the life of your jeep, so make it a long term purchase.

As far as ramsey v. warn, both can fail, both are good, Ramseys are used on almost all tow trucks, warn seem to be more popular in off-road circles. I don't think you can go wrong with an 8K or bigger winch of either make.

-raymo
Scrambler
258 4.0 Head/MPI,NV4500,D300,4.10's,HS9500
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 01:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

http://www.jdsoffroad.com They have a sale on Warn HS9500i. I got my Warn HD9000i for free(work, helped installing an elevator in a country club), but if I was buying one it would be a 8000#. 8000# would allow plenty of power, none of the bells an whistles that can make the price skyrocket. Just make sure to get the model that you can replace the motor. With some of the low priced Ramsey winches you cannot replace the motor. So burn up the motor and buy a whole new winch, but then again I have heard of those winches lasing for like 15 years.

Jason

<font color=green>----------------</font color=green>
<font color=green>[]llll[] '90 YJ, NV4500, XD9000i, 35" MT/R, Snorkle, 4.5" RE lift, Tera Revolvers, etc. etc.</font color=green>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 04:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I think what YJason is referring to are Ramsey's permanent magnet motors, as opposed to the series wound motors that all Warns have and the better Ramseys have. AVOID permanent magnet motors, by the very nature of the motor every time you use it the motor has a little less power, it will eventually fail. Good for a poser or very occasional use, but not for real wheeling.

Brad
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 04:43 PM

for a cj 5 or 7 I like the idea of a 8k, and for a flatty or sammy a 6k, for big trucks a 9-12k is probably nice. If you get a huge winch then you can do lots of damage to your frame, if you put a 12k on a flatty you could probably pull the frame into 2 sections. I've been looking at the ramsey rep8000, it that one of those winches that suck?
BarrelRoll

'95 YJ Totaled!
Now All I have is an insurance Claim

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 04:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The Ramsey REP 8000, 6000, and 5000 are permanent magnet motors, all other Ramseys are series wound like Warn. Permanent magnet motors no where near as durable, thats the bad news, the good news is the magnets can be remagnetized, not sure by who or how. Avoid them.

Brad
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 07:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have used for several years, a Ramsey RE8000. I chose it for several reasons: it cannot be back driven since it has a worm drive, it is the same design used by the wrecker industry, oil field and marine applications as well. Been around since dirt and is bombproof. Costs a bit more than the permanent magnet units but Brad is right - bottom line: you get EXACTLY what you pay for here since it is a competitive situation. If you wheel much out west, one day you will DEPEND on the winch to save your rig and maybe your bacon, too. It is a one time purchase if you get a good one and it is adaptable to other Jeeps in the future with just the changing of the mounting plate. Just last night I found a site on the web that showed TWO ruined winches. One was a Ramsey and one was a Warn. One was BROKEN and one was burned up. I honestly don't remember which was which. I do know that both were the permanent magnet type with the planetary gears. This is the first time I have seen this on the net or in real life for that matter.

JMTCW

sln

post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 08:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

"If you wheel much out west, one day you will DEPEND on the winch to save your rig and maybe your bacon, too."
Absolutely right. As an example, about a month ago I was wheeling with the club out in Chokecherry, we were in an area that nobody had wheeled before. I was first, tried to get up about an 8ft. wall, got a little wheel hop, left rear tire ended up in a big crack, Jeep sitting on the rear frame member on that side, front still part up the wall at better than a 45. No where to go, can't go forward or back, about a 15 ft. drop immediately to the left. A couple guys found another way up after about 15 minutes, they hooked together and we hooked my winch cable to one and I pulled up. Without the winch I would either have been upside down for trying something stupid, or still be there.
Get a GOOD, dependable winch.

Brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode