Free Hat for Fixing Prob - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 10:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Free Hat for Fixing Prob

Here you go,

1975 Jeep CJ5, 304 V8. Runs fine most of the time. Drive down the road, hit a large bump, quits dead. Don't tell me it's electrical because that much I know. Push clutch in, free wheel, let it out and as they say at my laundry, "No Start", or is that "No Starch"?

Reach down, turn the ignition key, "No start" until you let go of the key, "Then Start". Problem gets worse the more moisture is present. Have replaced over the year, starter, electronic ignition module, voltage regulator, coil, wires, plugs. Have not pulled out all wiring, started bonfire and danced around it singing praises to Jeep God. Have not replaced ignition switch.

Free Jeep Hat to the first e-mail that I get which leads me to fix the problem. It's a nice hat, wool cap with "Jeep" "1941". Wife bought it for me for X-mass and the company sent 2.

Thanks,

Brad

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 11:04 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Free Hat for Fixing Prob

You'll probably get free advice here.

If it was me I would take the ignition module(warranty?) to wherever you bought it and see if they will let you try a new one. Those things are notorious for moisture playing havoc with the electronics. This could or could not be your problem, but it is a start.

After you get it figured out you should think about the TR upgrade. It will save you lots of headaches in the future.

Jason

<font color=green>----------------</font color=green>
<font color=green>[]llll[] '90 YJ, NV4500, XD9000i, 35" MT/R, Snorkle, 4.5" RE lift, Tera Revolvers, etc. etc.</font color=green>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 11:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I would check the wiring going to/from the ignition switch, if that is ok, then I would replace it. The bumps could be making the well-worn contacts in the ignition switch move out of position due the looseness and wear.

If that doesn't work, for under $20000 you can just replace your Jeep. I am not sure if you can get those at Autozone though....

Good luck!

Steve M
1976 CJ-7, 304, TH400, Q-Trac, 4:10's, 33x12.5 Goodyear MT's, blah, blah , blah...

"Heavy guns - Reach out and touch someone"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 11:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

To be honest, I have never looked at that. Have a good place to get info?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 11:28 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Let me see if I have this right. Key has 3 positions, off, on, start (and ACC but we're not concerned about that now). You are saying, that in START, the motor doesn't start, until you let it go back to ON. Is this correct? Does it turn over and just not fire, or does it not turn over? I'm going to guess it turns over, just doesn't fire.

I would run the following test. Run power wires to stuff separately and drive the jeep that way. Run a separate switch to the starter solenoid. Connect the power, and fire the Jeep with the separate switch.

Run the jeep this way (power the ignition, then fire up the motor.) It should run fine.

If so, then problem is in switch/wiring. I'd say start with the ignition switch.

Good luck
Pete

88 YJ-retiring to trails soon
79 4WD F250-hauler/tower of my toys [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
70 Jaguar E-type - the best car England ever made. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
??? pavement-pounder for work/school - opinions wanted.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 01:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

It sounds like the key-switch to me. The question I have is does the engine turn over when you are in the start position and just not fire? Or does it not turn over at all until you release it to the "on" position? A new switch for a '75 is dirt cheap and easy since it's on the dash instead of the column. If it were mine I would get a generic switch from the auto parts store and replace it.

'75 CJ5,258 w/Howell EFI,T18a,4.27's,33's,On-board air,Warn 8274
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 01:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Oh yes, 99% of the time,walk outside and turn the key and it starts like a dream. Drive forever and then start to brag about a 25 yr old General Purpose Vehicle and BAM, it stops like a chipmuck under a 33". Dead! This usually happens while your moving down the road, 35-65 miles an hour. Certain bumps on the way home seem to trigger it.

Turn the key over, and the starter grinds but it will it not start until you let go of the key. Also, while going down the road at 55 when this happens, you can't just pop the clutch and restart it.

Normally everything works like it's supposed to, turn key, starter turns, engine fires, let go of key and go away. But 3-5 times a week, Satan (GM) takes over.

Brad

"Real Jeeps have round headlights"
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 01:57 PM

Could it be a loose ground from engine to body? If not I would have to say try new switch.

Soloman
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 02:11 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I'm totally with the solo guy on this one. Your Jeep has lost any semblence of grounding, due to the careless discarding of the braided ground straps, and just plain age. RUN GROUND WIRES FROM THE BATTERY TO: THE ALTERNATOR, TO THE STARTER HOUSING, TO THE BODY, TO THE DASH, TO THE FRAME, AND TO THE FRONT FENDERS. Then send each of us a nice Jeep cap. Heh heh.....[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 03:00 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

A friend had a car that died like that. Turned out to be the hot wire silinoid to the starter was shorting on the frame.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode