360 oil pump question... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 06:32 AM Thread Starter

360 oil pump question...

I took the cover off of the oil pump last night to free a stuck relief valve. The engine only has 500 miles on a rebuild. There were two circular patterns worn into the cover, I assume from the oil pump gears. Is this normal?
I would think that would at least spread metal into the system, and eventually cause slop in those gears. Are the gears supposed to ride on the cover?
Thanks for the help on the stuck valve, everyone!

'86 CJ-7, 360, T-176, Dana 44 rear w/Truetrac, Dana 30, 4" Superlift, Slickrock hangers, Currie steering brace, JKS discos, 4:11s, Warn HS9500i on Durango bumpers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 07:11 AM

Re: 360 oil pump question...

Technically the gears and suposed to ride on a very thin layer of oil just like the crank. I don't have the clearance to tell you but it's very small. However the AMC V8's have the worst system in the world. You mentioned a rebuild. Was the pump rebuilt? New gears, gaskets, spring, etc.? I have been in many V8 oil pumps and they all have wear marks on the cover. Your main concern is pressure. Monitor the pressure and if remains above 15-20 at hot idle you should be fine.

Pigpen
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 07:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hayne's and Chiltons both have the tolerances listed. The bolts for that have torque settings as well. Make sure you check all that before you put it back together. I have the info at home. If you need it I can post it later or just e-mail me at [email protected].

K-16
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 08:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

BillR,
The swirl marks that you are noticing are normal. They are caused by the drive gears at the start up of the motor when there isn't any oil pressure but as soon as there is oil pressure the gears will ride on a thin layer of oil.
When you got the thing all back together how did it work?? How was your oil pressure??????

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 09:15 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

BillR -

You're in the same mental place that I was earlier this year... Here's how I approached all of this: All this stuff is new and rebuilt and this is probably all normal wear. I have removed the oil filter a few times in the first 500 miles and checked for metal shavings and there's nothing to be alarmed about and there's less and less every time. So - in order to put my mind t ease over the semi-crappy AMC oiling system - I have evrything set up in the oil pump circuit the best I can, and I run Mobil1 10W-30, which is pretty much the slipperiest [censored] on the earth. So, even if my AMC's oil pressure drops off over time because the oil pump housing is aluminum (so dumb), the whole inside of the engine is swimming in Mobil 1. I am getting 60 psi at cold idle, 25-30 psi at hot idle, and 40-50 psi going down the road at 60 mph.

On my last 360 (just pulled it out after 100,000 on the last rebuild, I had 40-50 at cold start-up, 10 at hot idle, and 25-30 going down the road. Same gauge.

So this is typically the amount of pressure you will lose over the lifetime of the engine. Even the specs I had after 100,000 miles are not bad. You only need 10 psi per 1000 rpms, especially with Mobil1 in there...

Chuck Hadley
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

The pressure was good, around 60 at cold idle and 40 at a warm idle. I still have the knock, though. It seems louder under the Jeep. I put a screwdriver against to my ear, and the loudest sound is on the pan near to the drain plug.
I can also hear it on the passenger-side valve cover.
Not a good sign, huh...?

'86 CJ-7, 360, T-176, Dana 44 rear w/Truetrac, Dana 30, 4" Superlift, Slickrock hangers, Currie steering brace, JKS discos, 4:11s, Warn HS9500i on Durango bumpers.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 10:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had the same knocking sound coming from the new 360 that I had put in my 79 CJ-7. After figuring out which side it was coming from I removed the valve cover and found that one of my rocker bridges had broken in two. After putting a few of these motors together I have seen that it is pretty easy to do if the bridges don't seat right when you torque them down. Take a look and make sure that you don't have the same problem.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 10:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah - not good... Didn't catch the bit about the knock. That could be alot of things, but I'd pull the pan and inspect for any play in the rods. I doubt it's a main bearing knock already with only 500 miles on it - could also be a clearance problem.

Either way, I'd pull the pan and look around at this point - could just be a clearance problem - the AMC dipstick for example is notorious for getting in the way by the time you wiggle it down in there... Good Luck - let us know what you find. - Chuck

Chuck Hadley
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2001, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

I'm bummed! The CJ goes back to the rebuilders tomorrow for another teardown!
"The owning of a Jeep worketh patience."

post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2001, 11:39 PM

well better now than latter. try giving the rebuilders a hard time See if you cant get some free service or free stuff!

Sold the CJ... Cant wait for the next time around!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode