Onboard Air question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 06:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Onboard Air question

Hey all,

I have a Chevy style a/c compressor.. (not that a6 thing). I am trying to figure out a way to oil it. I found an oiler that holds about 1 qrt. of oil. At the bottom there is a valve. I also found a filter about the same size that also has this valve at the bottom.

If I run a hose from the bottom of the filter to the oiler.. Will the oil go back into the oiler so I don't have to put more oil in?? It makes sense but I don't know...

After this, The only thing I have to work on finding is the pressure switch. I haven't been able to find anything local but Sun Performance has them...

Thanks guys. I appreciate the help that you guys always give.

84CJ7 SOA,35's,OnboardAir,Dual winches,Full Cage,Snorkels, and more
OverMost 4WD Club
JerseyWheelers Club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 07:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Onboard Air question

Pressure switch? Are you talking about a pressure regulator? I looked in the phone book under compressors and found a place that rebuilds them. They had the pressure regulators. I got one that allows you to set the range and limit. That way mine is set to activate the compressor when pressured drops to a preset minimum of 90 psi and shuts the compressor off at 120 psi. John

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 07:38 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

my understanding is that regulator allows you to adjust the amount of pressure for the tool, etc. I Haven't found a regulator with a pressure switch.

The pressure switch, switches the compressor on or off depending the air pressure in the tank.

At this point I have to watch the gauge, otherwise BOOM! no, I do have a saftey valve so there won't be any BOOM! But you get the idea.

OverMost 4WD Club
JerseyWheelers Club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 08:47 AM
Keyboard Implanted

As long as the filter is higher then the oilier gravity will do its job. Good thing you didnt pick this friday.

80 cj7, 304, auto, 33" tsl swampers, 4" softride superlift, warn bellvue winch, custom front winch bumper
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 08:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey Jim,
Yeah thanks. I figured it would work ok.. I just need to figure out where I am going to mount them.. I think it would be best if I mount them inside somewhere but will need to think it over...

Yeah, this friday would have been bad. Hopefully next Friday will be nice enough to get some stuff done.

OverMost 4WD Club
JerseyWheelers Club
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 10:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Any decent local hardware store that sells air tools/compressors, etc will have pressure switches. Shoot Home Depot probably has them...

I just ordered one from Grainer, online. The granger part# is 5A537 and
cost was 24.72. This is a 4 port switch. I sound like you have most
of what you need already, so you may want to hunt for a 1 port switch. (They have them). This price was about $10 cheaper then what my local hardware store wanted for a single port switch. Has a 30 psi differential, preset to on a 95, off at 125.

You can open an account with Grainger online and use a CC. Is what I did...

Where did you find the oiler and filter.

Thanks

Jim O'Brien
[email protected]
http://www.tidesys.com
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 10:21 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've checked all of my local hardware stores and didn't find a pressure switch. I have seen the ones at granger but they are so much larger than the one that Sun performance sells. Its looks more like a temp sending unit for a motor... with two wires. Not sure these are any good or not but they are smaller. They are like $25.

I have everything I need but the switch. The oiler and filter I found at Pepboys. The oiler looked like it was on the shelf for years.. it was like $35 but its big.

I am thinking that I am going to mount the oiler and filter inside the jeep so that they stay clean and I will be able to check them. I am going to mount the 7gal tank behind the driver seat. The only reason I am going to mount it there is cause I am unable to use the space for anything else cause of my winch and rack. I have a Warn 8274 mounted inside the rear of the jeep.

OverMost 4WD Club
JerseyWheelers Club
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 10:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ahh... Ok. One nice thing about the larger regular switches is the ability
to unload the compressor. For my setup I am going to install a check valve in the tank, then using the unloader on the switch, the pressure in the line from the compressor to tank will be released. The compressor will not have to strain at startup. You could do something similar still using the Sun performance switch...using an unloader inline with a check valve. The genie unloaders at grainger are under $10.00.

Jim O'Brien
[email protected]
http://www.tidesys.com
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 11:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

JC Whitney has the switches available...I got one for $13, shipped to my house. As far as the re-cycled oil question...The only problem relates to the purpose of the filter...to filter things. What you will do is filter out all the oil, water, and dust/dirt in the air, and then put that into your oiler, where it will be continually run through your compressor. All the moisture the filter removes will end up in your compressor oil. To address that problem, I'd add a pre-filter of some sort before the oiler that will remove dirt/dust/moisture...and let it drain out on the ground...then add your oiler...then the compressor...then the overload valve...then the second filter (plumbed to return oil to the oiler)...then the pressure switch. If you want the second filter/oiler to work together automatically, you'll have to leave the little valve on the filter cracked a tiny bit, so a bit of air escapes, blowing out oil/etc. with it. The air will then blow the oil back to the oiler. You'll probably have to experiment with oil levels a bit, but it should work.

Moneyless, Will weld for jeep accessories.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 12:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

FarmJeep:
Thanx for the tip on the JC Whitney switch. I've been looking for one and have had no luck. I'm also looking
for a pop valve. The ones' I've seen (on complete compressors) are so small, I'm guessing that they are
pre-set to a certain pressure, because I don't see any way to adjust them. Are any of you guys running a
pressure release of any kind? I don't know what it's called, but its used to release the pressure in the line
so the compressor can start up easier. Is that even necessary for an automotive application?
Thanx in advance
-Gus-

90YJ 4.2L NV4500 456:1 33's Twin ARB's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode