Jeepgod is causing me PROBLEMS! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 03:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Jeepgod is causing me PROBLEMS!

I mean the guy is tighter than the bark on a tree! Won't spend money on anything! He'd rather make it himself! Even if it means re-inventing the wheel!

So recently he posted about making his own shackle reversal system. Even documented it fairly well. And that is what got me in trouble.

I figured if he could do that, then maybe I ought to look into doing my own lift kit. So I go shopping. For plastic. And bolts. And decided to take the existing bolts out of my daily driver. YJ. They all came out but wouldn't have in another year of aging/rusting. Then I figured out that the cushions/compression biscuits that the factory uses are not just a simple thing. They are rather sophisticated and highly engineered. They compress and preload just a certain amount and then the bolts bottom out in the sleeves. These sleeves are not simple either since they are surrounded in rubber and have an upper and lower part. So where do you put the lift kit pucks? I don't think I am qualified to rethink or re-engineer these things. Too many unknowns.

So how do they sell these kits to accomplish this result anyway? For the paltry sum of sixty five to a hundred dollars?

So, thanks to Jeepgod again, I go back to thinking: kits are round parts, round parts must go above the factory mounts, raise body and have a look see! Yep, looks like round parts will go there.

Wait. Square parts will also go there. And rectangular parts will too! Why do they all sell round parts?

HELLO!!!!!! My YJ body is bent! At the mounting points on the structural framing of the tub. Four of the mount surfaces are caved in. I am clueless as to why this would be so. There is no rust on the tub itself at these points so it is not a matter of structural collapse from weakness. One of the rear (right) is caved up nearly 3/8 inch.

{Why couldn't I have just gotten a kit and put it in like most people instead of answering some weird challenge to do it myself. And then perhaps I wouldn't even have noticed and now wouldn't wonder and worry and get anxiety related problems as a result of Jeepgod's modus operandi.}

Anyway, I decided to use rectangular blocks instead. (And don't ask why, but I decided to go for a one and and a quarter inch lift instead of a one inch.) If I use the rectangular blocks then the thinking is that the load will be spread over a larger area and may not be as likely to compress/bend/mangle the existing tub anymore. As far as clearances are concerned. The larger blocks will work fine.

Which brings me to the forum: does anyone see any problems with what I have worked out? Something I've not forseen? I'd appreciate any and all input or comments as I'd like to do this upgrade this weekend.

The other question I have is regarding the corners of the grill or core support. What do the kits put under there to make up for the increased spacing?

Buy the way. Look at the attachment and you will see my kit so far. With HDPE blocks, useful scrap left over, grade 8 bolts and hardened washers to match, I have the grand total of $32.50 in it so far.

Thank you Jeepgod for making me do this! I hope to help you sometime!

Semper Fi

sln

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-310095-weblift001.jpg (78.0 KB, 6 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 04:39 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Jeepgod is causing me PROBLEMS!

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img].. man that lift kit looks sweeeeet!!! not sure if you noticed on my webpage.. but my body has some damage to it.. so.. i too only have like 6 out of 10 mounts bolted up.. and the drivers front.. well.. thats the worst.. so i just hammered in a block of wood.. hehehe.. to keep the body from scraping the frame.. thats how bad its mangled there..
but man.. yours looks sweet!!! where did you get those blocks?

sure you can come help me.. hows this weekend.. im rewiring my cj5.. since i just lost half the lights in it.. its a rats nest in there.. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

glad i could help you out.... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img].. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]..

http://www.jeepgod.net

84 CJ-7 401/T-18/D20/D44/D60w/4.10&Detriots/YJ frame & tub/35x16x15 Boggers
<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 04:45 AM
Way Outta Control

That looks fine to me. Just make sure the top of the block contacts the body. You may wish to make steel plates that's the size of the bearing face of one of the blocks. Then slip them into place between the frame and the plastic. The plastic has to have something to rest on and spread the load or the frame will possiblily dig into the plastic. One other thought... do you you know how the plastic reacts under stress? Does the plastic spread, crush or collaps when undo pressure is applied or with such weight added over time? That would be my only worry. Oh yeah, can you get that plastic in red?

Safe Jeepin'

LEVE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 07:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

what are the blocks made from? they look like painted 2x4 blocks to me.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
efi351w/np435/d300/working on 1tons and 38's
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 07:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I wonder if the pucks will spin. I'm no engineering genius either but I thought thats why they made em round. Ive only helped with one YJ body lift so I'm not sure but maybe some way to keep them from turning on you would help. Channel to ride in or something. Sounds like a great idea and looks like a store bought kit but if they turn it would defeat your purpose. $0.02.

K-16
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 08:33 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

what are the blocks made from? they look like painted 2x4 blocks to me.

<hr></blockquote>

That is exactly what it looks like to me![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Common sense is genius dressed in working clothes.
http://www.austinjeeper.com

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 08:54 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img](1) The lift kit should be a SPACER, and not necessarily contribute to the available "Squish" at each mounting point. (2) Never assume anything is "engineered".......products are developed with COST and EASE OF MFG as the front two considerations. (3) The people who make these kits, do so after they have put their pants on one leg at a time, so you can do the same thing. (4) Never assume that something is as good as it can be(refer to number two above). (5) There should be more people like Jeepgod, even his $#it is wired for sound. This business of paying someone 300 bucks for common hardware items is totally bogus and Jeepgod has figured that out.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 09:57 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

He said they are HDPE blocks (High Density Polyethelene????)
Look under plastics in the <font color=yellow>yellow</font color=yellow> pages.

The could easily be round with a hole saw if you desired.

Jim O'Brien
[email protected]
http://www.tidesys.com
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 10:06 AM
Old Hand

They look like blocks of wood because they were cut with a table saw or something similar which gives them the look of wood grain.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
I would like to know if lift blocks actually turn or not?

Donnie

GOD,GUTS and GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT
I VOTE TO KEEP ALL THREE!!!!!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 11:10 AM
FlMudCJ

I should hope that the body mounts don't rotate!?!?!?!?!!?

Think about it, the body mount is round, the surface area is round, the biggest contact patch you are going to get at the base (on the rubber body mount) is round, the tub was designed for the round body mount... Do we see a pattern? Thusly people get the round body spacers. The round body mounts spread the load evenly and expand and contract linerally. For the manufacturer, they can make the body spacers to utilise every available square inch of space, but if they oversize it or make square / retangular blocks, they are creating an excess in their materials list. So by trimming the fat, they gain a pricing and market advantage.

i b edumakated.

'77 CJ-5: 304/T-150/D-20 F-D44 R-9" Power 4 wheel disk, 36X12.5 swampers
bigmudtire
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode