power for 2.5L by adding bigger flywheel??? true? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 12:58 AM
Wrangler88

power for 2.5L by adding bigger flywheel??? true?

a buddie of mine who is a mechanic says that if i add a bigger flywheel to my 2.5L in my 95 wrangler that since its bigger and causes more momentum, it'll make it seem like my engine is putting out more power on the highway and such.. is this true? anyone try this, or is he just a misguided and confused person.. i don't have a clue if hes right or wrong he thought he read that they guy with the 4cly that won the good year rockcrawling competition did this which gave him the power to over do what he did.. thanks for any info and parts that would make this work!

(\/)ikey
1988 Wrangler Laredo 4.2L w/5spd Manual
1995 Wrangler 2.5L w/ 5spd / 31"BFG AT's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 04:46 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: power for 2.5L by adding bigger flywheel??? true?

yep.. since its spinning a greater wieght.. it will give the engine more torque especially at lower rpms.. its not really bigger.. per say.. what they do to them.. is add weight to it.. i think its in the neighborhood of like 9 pounds...
there is a write up of it on the http://www.outdoorwire.com/4x4/jeep/

http://www.jeepgod.net

84 CJ-7 401/T-18/D20/D44/D60w/4.10&Detriots/YJ frame & tub/35x16x15 Boggers
<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 05:10 AM
Way Outta Control

If the question is: Does a heavier flywheel attached to the flywheel increase power?

Then the ansewer is no.

Power is supplied by the engine. That rate of power production is fixed by the internal specifications and how they react to fuel delivery and load. However the ability to shift how the range of power is used efficently can be changed.

Remember all the flywheel is doing is storing energy for release. The energy is stored as the pistion's rotate downward under power from the plasma burn. During the time that the engine is not powering the crank the flywheel provides balnace by releasing it's stored energy. The flywheel is providing rotational balance during the release time.

If the flyweel is heavier then it provides more stored energy and "enlarges" the lower and higher RPM points at which the released energy becomes effective. To be more accurate, the engine has to provide the energy stored by the flwheel. As the weight of the flywheel increases the engine has to work a wee bit harder to move that increased weight. So, the effect is a small loss of HP delivered to the drive train for what appears to be the ability to do more work in a lower RPM band.

The bottom line is that it's a trade-off with a small efficency loss.

Safe Jeepin'

LEVE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 08:33 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Once again LEVE makes the complex seem simple. As mentioned, the flywheel is only an energy STORAGE device, and has no ability to MAKE horsepower. However, with a heavy flywheel you can pop the clutch at idle and the Jeep will lurch forward and not stall.....that's what flywheels are for. Ever notice how easy it is to stall one of the modern-type mini autos? Yep....they have almost NO flywheel and the clutch weighs very little. Here is an interesting note: MODEL A FORDS have a flywheel that is SO HEAVY that the sheer weight of the flywheel wears out the rear main bearing. We used to have little "Jitneys" made from Model A Fords and the flywheel weight made them just like a tractor. That same weight, however, makes the Model A's sluggish when winding up between gears, since the engine has to invest the HP to get the flywheel up to speed, and then when you back off to shift, the engine takes forever to drop RPM to find the next gear. One of our buddies who has a prize-winning Model A has shaved 60 POUNDS off the flywheel to get the Model A to be more "spritely" between gears.....and to keep from wearing out the mains too. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 12:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I can see it now...

"So I put a 6" chrome exhaust tip and a 4000# flywheel on my Honda Civic lowrider...and now it'll do 0-60 in 3 seconds because of the horsepower increase..."

Moneyless, Will weld for jeep accessories.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 01:05 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Now Farmjeep.......... you know how these myths can be.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Why when I wuz a kid we thought that if you had ONE carb on your 1951 216 babbett-beater Chevy Six, and the car would do eighty(maybe); and then you put TWO carbs on it, you could do one-hundred sixty......it just STANDS TO REASON. Let X equal the amount of "Stuff" sold to increase HP and in actuality only DECREASES the bank account.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] If I NEVER see another Honda with one of those big pipes on it it will STILL be too soon. You ought to go to Silicon Valley where the oriental population is overwhelming.....EVERY OTHER CAR is that way. YUK!! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 01:27 PM

I remember when I was a kid and we thought a car would go as fast as the highest number on the speedometer! So that's how we compared them!

84 CJ7, 258, HEI, M/C 2100 carb, 5 inch lift, RS9000's, 33x12.5 BFG M/T's, Lockright, full cage & belts, Xenon flares, AMC 20 1pc axles, GM dual diaphragm brake booster
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 01:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yea, TriCountyGear made a rockcrawler for the Goodyear series using that, I think. Jason Bunch did the driving. I even think that they were trying to market that flywheel for the 2.5L. That would defintly take a heavy duty clutch and pressure plate to controll and keep from burning them up. That was one tricked out crawler.

Jason

<font color=green>----------------</font color=green>
<font color=green>[]llll[] '90 YJ, NV4500, XD9000i, 35" MT/R, Snorkle, 4.5" RE lift, Tera Revolvers, etc. etc.</font color=green>
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 01:40 PM

I've been in touch with Jason at Tri County Gear about getting one of those "inertia rings" for my 4 banger since I need to pull the tranny anyway. He's not been exactly prompt in getting these though.
Anyone else want to make one and sell it to me?

John
95.5 YJ with "stuff"
94 GMC Z71 with less "stuff"
http://SonsofThunder4x4.com
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2001, 03:12 AM
Wrangler88

hey ratherbejeeping-- so i take it u've called tricounty about the inertia rings? are they selling them or whats the deal with them? how much are they selling them for and does anything else need to be replaced with it so it doesn't burn out the clutch or anyhthing?? thanks. i'll give them a call monday.. if its a reasonable price i'll buy one and throw it in sometime soon and let everyone know how it is.. thanks!

(\/)ikey
1988 Wrangler Laredo 4.2L w/5spd Manual
1995 Wrangler 2.5L w/ 5spd / 31"BFG AT's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode