What gear ratio with 33's - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2001, 08:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

What gear ratio with 33\'s

What gear ratio would be good for a daily driver yj with 4.0L, 33's and 5 speed? How about an automatic?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2001, 09:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: What gear ratio with 33\'s

The 4.0 liter w/ 33" meats would love to have 4.10s or 4.56s in the pun-kins... I got the 2.5 liter and hopefully will land some 33" meats next month... Major Power-suckage... Hoping to land 4.56 gears later in the Spring to lessen the blow.

Good luck...

97 TJ SE
K/N
RE 2" lift w/ 31" BFG ATs

o||||o
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2001, 09:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I run 4.56's with my 78 CJ5 304 D20. It is just a little under geared, like I need to shift one more time (no overdrive). I plan on putting a Tera kit(3.15)into the D20 so I can put a little taller set of gears in the axles to regain some of the lost highway speed/rpm. My 94 YJ 2.5 came with 4.10's but it has an overdrive and 31's.

I would recommend that you look at the entire drive train as well as the tire size and then decide what gears to run.

Good Luck!
Kriss

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 10:45 AM
Can't Get Enough

Like saddle tramp said, look at your entire drive train, and how you plan on using it. I have the 4.2 with 33", but I also have a low geared tranny, and I am very happy with my 3.73's. To be able to cruise on the highway and still have low end grunt, you will need a gear combination somewhere between 50 and 60. If you are a dedicated crawler, and don't have any intention of highway jaunts, you may be more happy with something in the 70's or even 80's. With an automatic tranny, you can safely reduce your low end gearing about 20%. (i.e. Manual low gear final drive 50, Auto 40)

Final drive is just the low gear of tranny X reduction in T-case X Rearend ratio. (5.22x2.56x3.73 = 49.85)

With the Overdrive, you can lower your rearend gearing same as the overdrive is overdriven, and still be happy. (If that makes any sense)

Enjoying Montana's Big Sky & Snow(Skiing that is)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode